Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Xt-R Rav, No Spare, Run Flats ?

KHM

I don't post on here often but I do pop in for a read now and then.

I have recently bought a 2009 Diesel Rav 4, XT-R and it is one of the ones that doesn't come equipped with a spare wheel.

As far as I know, it should be running on Run-flats (although I'm not certain that it actually is).

I intend to buy at least one sparewheel for it but am considering getting a set of 4 and putting either A/T tyres or winter tyres on them. (Currently looking at Yokohama Geolander A/T S)

As long as I had a spare wheel, do I really need to be running on run-flats?

No run flats on XTR, you should have repair kit. There are many on here carrying a spare in

the boot with a variety on ways to store it, try the search for examples.

Ah, so I shouldn't have Run-flats then?

I do have a repair kit although the gunk is probably old enough that it needs replaced. However, it would be unlike me to get a puncture without causing major damage to the tyre hence my intention to buy a spare.

Spare is definitely the way to go, I used to store mine like this in a cover, strapped between rear of back seat

and the cross bar of the boot cover.

100_0802.jpg

You can also get some handy DIY person to make a flat piece of plywood, shelf like and store it flat.

Just remember to secure it safely, otherwise it might end up flying forward in an emergency stop.

Hi Lorna,

An extra set will allow you to carry one of the opposing set as the spare - that's what I do.

The winter tyres are a good idea but I'm not sure how far it would be a good idea to travel with, say, a winter tyre replacing a standard tyre or vice versa. I suspect as a 'get you home' or a 'get you to a tyre fitter' there wouldn't be a problem though.

PM on it's way

Thank you for all replies, PM replied to Davrav.

Unfortunately, I also have a dog box in the boot most of the time but on long journeys I can either boot it out or lose the use of a rear seat (if I also need to transport a dog) to create space for anchoring a wheel. Even just having a wheel at home would do me most of the time, only taking it out for special occasions. :-)

Hi Lorna,

I have two sets of wheels+tyres... Winter and Regular, and as commented, I think of the winter set as providing an emergency spare in the summer, and vice versa come winter time.

It is not ideal to use a none-matched tyre as a spare but IMO would be better and safer then if a space-saver was supplied, for example.

I don't carry it around as a matter of course but have put one of the spare wheels in the boot if I think having a puncture would be very inconvenient, such as driving around at Christmas or in very bad weather.

I had a second set of wheels for my last Rav, even though Toyota had thought to bless it with a spare wheel.

When I decided to sell that Rav, I passed the spare set to a friend. They were 16" and were fitted with barely worn BFG AT's. It's a shame they didn't fit the car I have just bought.

I'll be looking for 17" wheels for the Rav I currently have and will decide on which tyres to pair them with at a later date.

I can imagine that I'll only carry a spare in circumstances similar to what you describe Hoovie.

I've had two punctures now and used the repair kit twice. As far as convenience, it's probably easier to use the kit than change a tyre, especially for the less able or in dodgy circumstances.

First tyre was quite worn (2mm) as were the rest, so I took that as a sign to get a new set of 4!

Second time was one of the "new" tyres so I got that repaired. There was some fuss from the local Toyota garage, but on insisting they took the tyre and repaired it. (£10)

I wrote to head office who have confirmed that tyres having had the kit used are still perfectly repairable (although some local garages won't do it!) but I also found out that Toyota offer to repair your tyres for FREE. (I since got my £10 refunded!!!)

Therefore the ONLY reservation I have is the cost of replacing the "gunk". Alternatively I could have the car towed for free (RAC) and then repaired for free (Toyota). Depends on circumstances I suppose.

So in summary I don't feel the need to carry a spare (as I can get going again 99% of the time) and I'll save Diesel not carrying the extra weight!

Dave

From Toyota web site;

Ensuring that your tyres are in good condition and right for your car means better safety, fuel efficiency and all-round driving performance and to keep them that way, we offer a free puncture repair service on all Toyota vehicles if we feel it's safe to do so. You don't even need to book an appointment, just pop in anytime.

Interesting that they say ".... all Toyota vehicles ....". Should they not be repairing the BSR ones as well in that case, or are they saying those are NEVER repairable?

(sorry, talking the dreaded Run Flats again :) )

I wrote to head office who have confirmed that tyres having had the kit used are still perfectly repairable (although some local garages won't do it!) but I also found out that Toyota offer to repair your tyres for FREE.

I've had 3 punctures and all three have involved serious cuts to the tyre, and they weren't budget tyres either.

A tin of gunk wouldn't have touched any of them and the tyre was knackered each time. That's my reason for wanting a spare.

You can always carry the spare on a Roof Rack. This is a US-spec RAV4 in Africa:

2009-rav4-sport-v-6-w-sap-yakima-load-warrior-cargo-basket-spare-tire-3058-picture19795-rav4-yakima-load-warrior-spare-tire-front-left-quarter-view.jpg

2009-rav4-sport-v-6-w-sap-yakima-load-warrior-cargo-basket-spare-tire-3058-picture19793-rav4-yakima-load-warrior-spare-tire-rear-view.jpg

I wrote to head office who have confirmed that tyres having had the kit used are still perfectly repairable (although some local garages won't do it!) but I also found out that Toyota offer to repair your tyres for FREE.

I've had 3 punctures and all three have involved serious cuts to the tyre, and they weren't budget tyres either.

A tin of gunk wouldn't have touched any of them and the tyre was knackered each time. That's my reason for wanting a spare.

Your absolutely right, the gunk will do no more than fix your average "nail in a tyre". And based on your experiences, I'd be carrying a spare too!

I've just managed without so far and don't feel worried at all. In the mean time I'll cope without a spare. But if I was going somewhere remote without mobile phone signal I'd be a bit more concerned!

Dave

Interesting that they say ".... all Toyota vehicles ....". Should they not be repairing the BSR ones as well in that case, or are they saying those are NEVER repairable?

(sorry, talking the dreaded Run Flats again :) )

Don't recall "they" ever said that BSR tyres COULD NOT be repaired, Hoovz, but they charged anywhere from 55GBP upwards to do so. It was just another part of the system cartellification between Toyota and Bridgestone.See......now you've got me started again...!!!

It was a way of getting a "contribution" (Current Cost Accounting phrase....?) towards having bought the special machine (did not put that in inverted commas out of disrespect....) that was required to remove and refit these baysteroids.

Back in Rehab Kev :nono:

Never mind Kev in two days you will not have the option of Run flat or not, or even spare or not, just a good old compressor and a tin of gunk, and a half full boot of wheel when you are travelling long distance or strange hours. wonder why I have a car tyre puncture repair kit with me at all times as well as a spare tyre for the longer journeys (apart from the spare tyre I carry 24 hours a day....)

Gus

Never mind Kev in two days you will not have the option of Run flat or not, or even spare or not, just a good old compressor and a tin of gunk, and a half full boot of wheel when you are travelling long distance or strange hours. wonder why I have a car tyre puncture repair kit with me at all times as well as a spare tyre for the longer journeys (apart from the spare tyre I carry 24 hours a day....)

Gus

Yeah Gus..wheel kept back as a spare for egermencies, and got another couple kicking about but are out for refurb at moment.

Watch this space in the future (as long as the driver of a tiny wee red Toyota disnae catch me...again....)

Big Kev

Chill Chill, Kev you know you love Bridgestone Runflats really!!!!!

I would bet my bottom dollar that a certain Gentleman in a Vermillion Red Rav is hanging around a certain Toyota Main dealers when you go and pick your "new" Rav up.

Regards Clare

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links