Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Avensis 2.2 D4D Head-Gasket

Sparksatsea

Firstly apologies for starting a new topic of a known problem, I really need some guidance here as

this car has left me well out of pocket since I boought it seven months ago. The car in question was an ex-BT fleet car with 52,000 on the clock, and I bought it from the famous car showrooms near Swansea. I also took out insurance with the said showroom for a further two years warranty.. fool I was.

I just happened to be at my step sons garage when I started the car ans his mechanic noted that blue smoke was coming from the exhaust on start up, although the vehicle drove ok, I thought all was in order. NO.. I then visited a diesel workshop in Plymouth who tested the car and found that number two cylinder injector was over-oiling... they replaced this and the said insurance coughed up £540 for the work and replacement injector. All was well... NO!!!

A few weeks later I noticed the expansion bottle was lsightly down, so topped this up. next week as I was checking the washer bottle levels I noticed white marks over the engine cover, and of course the expansion bottle was down to the original mark I noticed prior to filling it up. Immediately I thougt of the Head-gasket gone, and via various web-sites was horrified to see that I was not the only one to have this problem. I contacted the local Toyots garage near where I am working and left the car with them, that very afternoon I was informed that the gasket was on its way out and the cost of replacing same, plus work and fitting new pistons and bearings etc to overcome the problem with carbon build up would be in excess of £3,000. I cannot do with out a car so told them ot go ahead, and having informed the insurance company, and Toyota keeping them informed expected to get some or all of my money back... Ah you are saying what about Toyota warranty.. I will come to that.

In a nutshell I got the car back and it has been brilliant ever since with a one year warranty on parts and labour.. I sent all the relevant details off to the insurance company who have now said they will not pay as there was wear and tear on the piston rings... I do not think they know how an engine works, but I am waiting for a letter from Toyotas mechanic to dispell their theory then go back to them. I was given all the relevant items taken off the car and have these still in my possesion.

The car had only done 63,000 miles whne the gasket started to go, and for an 07 plate car is terrible.

The reason I cannot go to toyota is that I do not have their sevice stamps where necessary, only the first entry, but the car has been serviced at the regular times by BT, I was givien a printed page with all the entries on. The question is do I send off all these details to Toyota head office to see if they will help.. or where do I stand.. that money was needed for other things and I feel rather put off with Toyota's from my one and only experience. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Geoff

Firstly apologies for starting a new topic of a known problem, I really need some guidance here as

this car has left me well out of pocket since I boought it seven months ago. The car in question was an ex-BT fleet car with 52,000 on the clock, and I bought it from the famous car showrooms near Swansea. I also took out insurance with the said showroom for a further two years warranty.. fool I was.

I just happened to be at my step sons garage when I started the car ans his mechanic noted that blue smoke was coming from the exhaust on start up, although the vehicle drove ok, I thought all was in order. NO.. I then visited a diesel workshop in Plymouth who tested the car and found that number two cylinder injector was over-oiling... they replaced this and the said insurance coughed up £540 for the work and replacement injector. All was well... NO!!!

A few weeks later I noticed the expansion bottle was lsightly down, so topped this up. next week as I was checking the washer bottle levels I noticed white marks over the engine cover, and of course the expansion bottle was down to the original mark I noticed prior to filling it up. Immediately I thougt of the Head-gasket gone, and via various web-sites was horrified to see that I was not the only one to have this problem. I contacted the local Toyots garage near where I am working and left the car with them, that very afternoon I was informed that the gasket was on its way out and the cost of replacing same, plus work and fitting new pistons and bearings etc to overcome the problem with carbon build up would be in excess of £3,000. I cannot do with out a car so told them ot go ahead, and having informed the insurance company, and Toyota keeping them informed expected to get some or all of my money back... Ah you are saying what about Toyota warranty.. I will come to that.

In a nutshell I got the car back and it has been brilliant ever since with a one year warranty on parts and labour.. I sent all the relevant details off to the insurance company who have now said they will not pay as there was wear and tear on the piston rings... I do not think they know how an engine works, but I am waiting for a letter from Toyotas mechanic to dispell their theory then go back to them. I was given all the relevant items taken off the car and have these still in my possesion.

The car had only done 63,000 miles whne the gasket started to go, and for an 07 plate car is terrible.

The reason I cannot go to toyota is that I do not have their sevice stamps where necessary, only the first entry, but the car has been serviced at the regular times by BT, I was givien a printed page with all the entries on. The question is do I send off all these details to Toyota head office to see if they will help.. or where do I stand.. that money was needed for other things and I feel rather put off with Toyota's from my one and only experience. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Geoff

Difficult one this but I don't see why BT as a VAT registered company with it's own garage should be any different that any other VAT registered garage which the rules say applies.

1 Photocopy all your documention and send it off to Toyota and 2 why did the dealer not get permission from Toyota GB before commencing the repair ... very strange.

Good luck mate ... Pete.

I was also under the impression that as long as the car had been reasonably maintained with proof then the extended warranty would be valid. I've also read that some dealers seem more keen than others to approve extended warranty repairs. Nothing to lose by contacting Toyota GB. Could be that the dealer is at fault.

If you have read this forum then you know that this is a known problem potential problem & that Toyota have an extended warranty procedure in place for it (& tbh imo a far better response than most manufacturers would do for out of warranty cars).

Ideally Toyota would have been involved before the work went ahead & I would want to know (given that there is a Toyota Bulletin covering this) why the Toyota dealer didn't involve them?

Failing that you could always argue that the car was not of merchantable quality etc. when you bought it.

Hi All,

Many thanks for the responce.

The Toyota dealers where I had the car repaired did not think I was able to get the cover as the book had only been stamped once, but I have a

A4 size paper with the service dates on by BT.

I will certainly collate all the infromation and send it off to Toyota Uk.

Will keep you all informed

Cheers

Geoff

Again, many thanks for your help