Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Not Starting

gordon7809

Hi Guys

I have had my secondhand 2010 IQ now for about three weeks. On five ocassions it would not start. Lights all come on on the dash and the Battery seems OK. When I turn the key the starter motor does not turn the engine over. After several trys it starts ok. I got stuck on the first day I had it coming out of a Tesco carpark. Had to switch on the hazards to alert other drivers. I am taking it to the dealer to see what is wrong, otherwise the car is great. I always put my foot on the clutch before turning the key. I have done this since I strarted driving to take the load of the engine.

It happens sometimes in mine (auto) and my wife's Verso manual (mainly when i use it). I would say its as you haven't had it long, its a missed sequence. Holding down the pedals in the right order and some times a split second difference and it wont start with the auto its simply holding your foot on the brake but if i do it in a lazy fashion , i have to go through it again. With the manual in my wife's Verso you have to hold your foot on the break and clutch and i'm really lazy at that. So end up doing it 2 or 3 times. Or of course it could be the sensor switch on one of the pedals that needs adjusting. Easy to do and get to

David

Hello Gordon,

it happened me too. But I think there is nothing wrong with the IQ.

If I put the gearbox in the neutral position and push brake and clutch my IQ starts.

But it is strange when it happens. You can hear only the switch but not the starter motor.

A few weeks ago it happened three times but the last weeks there is no problem.

It doesn't concern me.

Neelix from Holland

Thank you Neelix and David. Just back from my dealer and he says you have to push the clutch pedal to the floor. I thought I was doing this but maybe not firmly enough. I will see how I get on..

Had this issue with a customer, going to be a daft question but have you got genuine or none genuine mats in the vehicle?

Alex

We had the same problem, if you have aftermarket mats in the car, that will cause the clutch pedal not to go all the way. Tbh I think depressing the clutch is just really really annoying. That's one thing that grates on me everyday with the IQ. I believe most or all Toyota's are like this now. I don't see the point in it apart from security.

I would get down on the floor and have a look up under. See when you push the peddle by hand or get a friend to actuate it, you should be able to see when the switch actuates and where the peddle is with respect to full travel or fouling on the floor. from memory i think the switch is adjustable on the bracket. i still think its a "lazy" foot

David

• 7 years later...

Just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. It worked yeah!!!!!  My IQ is very temperamental, if you open the passenger door or the boot before you open the driver door then the security system stops the engine and you cannot re-start the car.  Sometimes it restarts again after a few minutes otherwise I have to lock the car through the passenger door, or the boot. Then, start all over again making suree that the driver door is opened first. Had the car for a few years now and have, reluctantly, got used to it! Post surgery I haven't started or use the car for 6 weeks. Recharged the Battery since yesterday and then the car wouldn't start until i tried your suggestions.  Thanks again.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links