Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diesel Injector Replacement

john lever

Are there any experts out there. My 2007 2.2D TR has had a knocking when cold for the last 20000 miles so I had a diagnostic check and was informed that one of the injectors had 'locked out'. Furthermore, I had to replace the injectors as a set and they had to be done by a Toyota dealer in order to 're-map' the injectors. This was to cost £2100. After much research I discover that the car has Denso Type A injectors (the same as the RAV4) . Three garages have told me that they must be replaced as a set. After much ado, I found a Toyota garage that was prepared to fit re furbished injectors (supplied by myself) and I have had the job done at a cost of £950. I am told that the injectors have a chip which has a unique code that is applied from the performance characteristics and is matched to the EMS. When I got back the old injectors, these had a unique code on them. I asked why you could not replace the existing 'good' injectors using that code - the computer doesn't know that it is the same injector - only to be told that Toyota insist on replacing the injectors as a set. I can buy a single injector for this car on eBay for £50. Although, I would be taking a risk, the repair would have cost around £400 instead fo £900 or even £2100 that Toyota originally quoted. Is there a simple answer to this question.

had the same code but instead of going for new injector, tried combination of injector cleaner and a racehip box. (see my other post re this)

Seems to have fixed the problem for total cost of €200

Injector cleaner didn't solve the problem. After fitting re-conned injectors, about one week on, black smoke came out of the car. Eventually the engine management light came on again. I rang the garage and they said it sounded like the egr valve, so I took it off and cleaned it. After disconnecting the Battery the light went out and the engine ran fine - so I drove it to the nearest garage where I traded it in for a BMW. The 2AD engine is also fitted to the RAV4 of the same period - all sorts of problems with it from my research - and have concluded that the Japanese are not the best diesel engine designers in the world.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links