Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Belt Or Chain?

merseyman58

Hi - Can anybody tell me whether a 2001 Toyotoa Avensis GS 1.8 petrol engine uses a timing belt or a chain please?

thanks

Ken

Is it a 3EA or 7AE engine?

I believe the 3AE engines, specifically the 2 ltr ones, are timing chain.

Hope this helps.

Sooty

Ken, I think your 1.8 Avensis is 1ZZ-FE engine, which would be chain driven.

Hi - thanks for getting back to me. Hate to sound like a dummy but how can I tell which type of engine it is? I've checked the reg document and it only gives the engine number, not the type. I've checked the service schedule and there are references to diesels having to change belts every 60K but no mention of petrol engines.

Cal - Thanks, my engine number begins with 1ZZU0, so you think that's a chain?

You should find the engine and chassis number details on the passenger side bottom bit when you open the door. There it should tell you what engine it has.

From year 2000 Aug, all UK Avensis petrol engine has switched to VVTi, which is either ZZ series or AZ series engine, both of which are chain driven.

Whoops!! I just got your new posting. : ) If your engine number starts with 1ZZ then, it'll be 1ZZ-FE engine which is chain driven.

This engine is known for oil consumption once it hits certain mileage so I'll change the oil regularly than specified.

Cal - Many thanks - I was told by the previous owner that he'd had it done but I've scoured all the service history that came with the car and there is no mention of it, which backs up what you have said. The car is just touching on 80K so I'll keep an eye on the oil.

thanks again,

Ken