Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Navigation System.

alan.

does anybody know what format the gps system uses on a prius 2010.

for example. is it minutes/seconds. or degrees.

ive tried to use the system and it does'nt seem to accept the numbers i key in.

has anybody else used this with any success.

thanks.

It uses Degrees minutes and seconds in that order if you want to put single digit degrees in, e.g. "3" degrees, you press the number then the degree symbol. Are you on the "coordinates" screen, although I have not used it, it all seems very straightforward to me.

hi keith.

this is one example of an address i tried to input.

these are coordinates off google maps for a car park in mid wales.

im still trying to figure it out.

one destination it did accept and i ended up approx 3 miles away haha.

hi keith.

I just entered these on google maps, typing those co-ordinates in came up with a green arrow on the map here.

If you click on the green arrow a small box pops up which shows the same co-ordinates in degrees, minutes, seconds, etc. In your example it would be: +52° 5' 43.02", -3° 38' 1.73"

Hope this helps

hi valmiki.

the problem is you cannot enter those co-ordinates into the prius sat nav.

This is the manual (though a USA one):

— Destination search by

“Coordinates”

1. Push the “DEST” button.

2. Touch “Coordinates” on the second

page of the “Destination” screen.

3. Input the latitude and the longitude.

4. When the input is finished, touch

“OK”.

By touching the button of the desired point,

the screen changes and displays the map

location of the selected destination and the

route preference. (See “Starting route

guidance” on page 70.)

[shrug] doesn't go into much detail, I'll try and have a look at mine in the morning ;-)

The answer seems to be that the latitude and longitude designations on the screen are the wrong way round. Try swapping the numbers over and it works OK.

Next question is what will it do if you give it coordinates that are not on a road?

hi keith.

Is the car park in the middle of a field ?

thanks for your replies.

i do know how to input the co-ordinates its the sat nav that wont except them.

opifex. ill try your method, and i input my original co-ordinates which is a car park.

will let you know the result shortly.

hi keith.

Is the car park in the middle of a field ?

Was it a pop concert?

actually it was the world bog snorkling championship. amongst other events.its not so much as i did'nt know where to go i wanted to try the lat/longitude method. but as i said earlier i can not input the exact co-ordinates.

google maps show the - as west but the prius gps wont accept the - first.

stumped

Now that I remembered this thread, I dug out the NAV manual.

On the screen to enter co-ordinates, you have a choice of touching N or S, and W or E directly next to the box to enter the co-ordinates.

In your case I'm guessing you would touch 'W' before entering the longitude co-ordinate (without the minus). Hence the minus is irrelevant.

I think this may be the answer!

Now that I remembered this thread, I dug out the NAV manual.

On the screen to enter co-ordinates, you have a choice of touching N or S, and W or E directly next to the box to enter the co-ordinates.

In your case I'm guessing you would touch 'W' before entering the longitude co-ordinate (without the minus). Hence the minus is irrelevant.

I think this may be the answer!

Yep - I realised I'd forgotten that bit but you beat me to it.

Also answered my own question about what it would do with off-road co-ordinates by entering somewhere in the middle of the North Sea. It did the logical thing and took me via the Channel Tunnel to Ostend and then showed a dotted line to my destination. :boat:

tried that thanks. m8 but no go.???

Our last posts obviously crossed.

You can only enter the whole number part of the seconds, if that is your problem.

What sort of "no go" are you getting? Can you enter any figures at all? Does the OK button change from greyed out when the coords have been entered? When you press the OK button does the map show the destination being in the wrong place? Are you getting any error messages?

Entered the co-ordinates here (converted to degrees, minutes, seconds from my earlier post). The system autofills in the degrees, seconds where it can, but if not they are there below the arrow pointing left:

8040E4DF-D735-4603-A10A-201BBBDD61F5-4557-0000036EE99B1C1E.jpg

Clicked OK

Then the NAV route appeared (centred on the co-ordinates best as I could, the lines are from the refresh rate of the NAV screen)

62BD4DC3-DE8C-49B2-8B1D-FC144B6A0F27-4557-0000036EEF603176.jpg

Just to confirm, here's the last section of the turn list

B52BE65E-7685-4FBD-AAD9-4F6D1A04E0FA-4557-0000036EF824DD0E.jpg

I can't confirm whether the co-ordinates get you to where you want to go, I'm just using the ones I converted from Google Maps and then rounded the last second of the co-ordinate...about as far as I can get with this problem Alan (!)

that looks about right m8. how did you enter without the minus in front of the 3.

my original co-ordinates were..52.095282 / -3.633814.

thanks opifex everything works ok the problem i had was tring to input -3.633814.

i could not put the - before the 3.

but the pictures above look about right to me so maybe im doing something wrong.

thanks both.

You don't need the minus! - just click on the 'W' and then enter the number as I have done (without the minus).

The NAV only accepts co-ordinates that have degrees, minutes and seconds.

If you're trying to enter "52.0295282 / -3.633814" it's not going to work. In this example the latitude is 52.0295282, and the longitiude is -3.633814.

A few posts back I converted your co-ordinates into degrees, minutes and seconds: +52° 5' 43.02", -3° 38' 1.73". Here the latitude is +52° 5' 43.02", and the longitude is -3° 38' 1.73". These are basically the same numbers as yours.

The first co-ordinate is a North/South orientation, you can enter this in as is, ensuring you round the last number (the 'second').

The second number is an East/West co-ordinate. Again, round the last number, the 'second'. The minus just means that it is a West co-ordinate for longitude (ie. west of the prime meridian).

So, you enter this number by pressing 'W' and entering the number without the minus. If the number didn't have a minus to start with, you would leave it on "E" and enter the number as shown.

Because of this you will never need to enter a minus on the NAV.

[EDIT]

and if you still don't get it, just use postcode LD5 4TD :cheers: :cheers:

You can enter co-ordinates on streetmap and it will give you the nearest postcode

hi valmiki.

thank you for your detailed explanation. looks good to me ill try a local co-ordinate and see how i get on.

thanks again for your help. :driving: