Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drive Shaft Oil Leak

mullum

I've got a sudden major oil leak on my drive shaft on the support bearing housing near the middle of the shaft, but I can't see where it's coming from! The back of the transmission is dry and so is the front of the rear differential and the spray pattern seems to originate right at the support bearing. The oil is clean and very viscous, like pale gear oil. I live fairly remotely in the country but I don't want to drive the car until I figure what's wrong. Any ideas/suggestions?

oil leak might be due to bearing is worn down leading to damade seal ring because of shift vibration or natural wear down or seal ring. check simple things. move the shaft -- what are your observations ?

That's the strange part - everything seems fine. Shaft has no play and the bearing itself appears dry (see attached image). Hence my confusion. Though I'm no expert, just a rough and slow basic DIYer - I have to be, living in the bush in New South Wales. Just can't see where the oil's coming from. FYI the vehicle's done 64,000 miles.

post-126258-0-07571100-1349780660_thumb.

it is in fact not good photo matey

what about 180 degrees opposite ?

it looks like fresh oil traces

Yes, definitely fresh oil. This has only just happened. Here's some more pics - I'll try for some better images in daylight (it's night here now). It looks like the source of the oil is from the rear side of the bearing support, but the diff's a way back there, and it shows no sign of leaks. What else could it be?

post-126258-0-49693000-1349782620_thumb.

post-126258-0-73376500-1349782681_thumb.

check with tyres -- any fresh oil traces?

Yes it could if the oil leaks from the gearbox. I take it that is the front end?

You need to check the transfer box right away. Your profile states you have a 2007 CV. Can you confirm just which model you have - that looks like you were green laning.

Just check the brake fluid too. There is a pipe close by.

Well, this's one for the books! Problem solved - the oil was coming from a pinhole leak in the plastic boot on the rear section of the propellor shaft at the support bearing. The (almost invisible) hole was made by impact with a stick or whatever; but the oil isn't oil - it's grease from the slide joint that has degraded to oil during a lot of dirt and off-road travel over the past 64,000 miles. The solution offered by Toyota? The plastic boot isn't sold separately - you have to buy the entire drive chain, which includes both front and rear propellor shaft sections along with the support bearing: total cost AUD$2,498.- (GBP 1,596.55). A practical and more cost-effective alternative is to clean the plastic boot ands seal the hole with a drop of super glue.

Done.

Thanks for your replies.

Strewth Blue.....what a result !!!!!! G'day and welcome to the Forum of Poms (....and Jocks, of course.)

Glad you got it solved, and that Toyota price utterly disgraceful.

Big Kev

Glad you got it solved, and that Toyota price utterly disgraceful.

Big Kev

" It's only the profit that makes it dear" as one old timer used to tell me :D: