Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant Loss

richteex

Does anyone have a definitive reason why the head gaskets are failing on the 2.2's, what is actually causing this problem and once the failed gasket is removed, can it be shown that its down to this fault.

Had my gasket changed when it failed at 67k (2 years , now on 97 and losing cooant again. Down to about half over the past few months and noticing a kind of gushing sound behind the dash a few times lately which ive not noticed before. Got it booked in for a 30 min diagnostic with Mr T.

Im so happy with this car, its running fantasticly well just hope its not the head gasket again. I understand theres an extended warranty but its soo much hassle to put up with

R.

Who changed the original head gasket? Was it a dealer or independent place?

Alex

Does anyone have a definitive reason why the head gaskets are failing on the 2.2's, what is actually causing this problem and once the failed gasket is removed, can it be shown that its down to this fault.

Possible reasons:

- incorrect tighing of cyl head;

- destroying by the coolant due to bad formula;

- overheating of cyl head leading to contact surface bending -- once it has happened -- you need both new gasket changing and re-tighting again

In fact i am inclined to overheating ......

regards / Igor

Thanks Igor..Surely toyota must know why these gaskets are failing..... Its such a common problem.

I still think its the coolant. Toyota cars have this pink long life 100,000 miles coolant put in. I think Toyota has changed the formula of the coolant the past few years with the launch of the face lift model and T180, and that maybe is causing head gasket problem. Also the head gasket is normally showing signs in the cooling system (Expansion tank) and hence I think the pink coolant is causing the problem. I don't know this is my opinion on what I think. But head gaskets don't normally fail just out of the blue (Or pink lol) but are normally down to overheating as this is normally the most common problem of overheating engines down to faulty thermostat or water pump. The pink coolant formula maybe the problem, and I think Toyota if they haven't already maybe look into this.