Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can't Remove Vvt Control Valve

paulcap

Hi, The title says it all. I recently rebuilt the engine on my 2002 Avensis 1.8 VVTi after the piston oil drain holes and the oil control ring groves blocked up with burnt oil. During removing the cylinder head, the manual said to undo the bolt securing the VVT oil control valve, disconnect the electrical plug and withdraw the valve. Unfortunately the valve didn't want to move. When I tugged a bit harder, the crimped fingers holding the solenoid onto the valve body let go and I was left with the body stuck in the head. The protruding end of the valve body has a deep grove so I could get a good grip on it but nothing could shift it and I did use nearly enough force to cause serious damage. After the rebuild, I was able to push the solenoid part back onto the valve body and it seems quite firm but it is obviously not working because there is no top end power and it produces a "VVT fault" code. Has anyone had this problem? Is there something else that the manual didn't mention that has to be removed before the valve will come out?

Nope. It should be remove the 10mm bolt and withdraw straight out.

Question though. Did you take the head bolts out before or after you removed the valve? If I remember correctly the head bolt can foul the valve and the valve material is relatively soft compared to the bolt. Can quite easily damage it and that could make the end lock against the hole in the head.

Hi,

Thnks for you reply. There were only gentle attempts to remove it while the head was still on the engine. All the pointless violence happened with the head removed. I am going to try again tomorrow but the head is back on now. I will report back.

Well it probably did damage the valve if you've had the head off with the valve in place even if it wasn't the original cause of it sticking.

Did you manage to twist the valve in the head whilst trying to remove it? Angle relative to the solenoid body (ie the bolt hole) is important

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links