Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav Recall Sept 2006- Dec 2008

Red Yaris 54

Heard this on the radio this morning.No details of the defect mentioned at all other than many cars effected.

Have not read on these forums of anyone having problems with their window switches.

Apparently it's just certain cars made between 2006 and 2008. Isn't that when they started making some of them in France...? :P

But I have to say, lots of disinformation out there and on reading more I don't understand why there has even been a recall!

From what I gather, the recall is due to an issue with the electric window switch that makes it feel rough or jamming, like it's catching, due to it not being lubricated properly.

That's it.

The follow on about the fire risk is not even right, it just melts, and only if people have tried to fix it themselves with lubricants not rated for electrics/higher temps. In fact, if I read this right, it has only affected a single person!

Past the sensationalist headlines, this is really a plus for Toyota IMHO - Our Ford Focus has way more issues than that, some much more serious, and these issues are widespread and well known but there's never been a recall! (The last two we had to deal with were total failure of the dashboard and sudden engine stall when travelling at speed!)

ive posted this is the RAV section but this is from the Toyota blog

Toyota places the highest priority on customer safety and the quality of our vehicles. We are constantly monitoring our cars’ performance through a variety of sources. From time to time, we become aware of a situation where a certain component or aspect of the vehicle does not meet our strict standards.

Today, Wednesday October 10th, Toyota GB registered a recall on RAV4, Yaris, and Auris and Corolla* models with the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA). The recall affects 138,000 vehicles in the UK and will be carried out in accordance with the VOSA Code of Practice.

What is the condition?

The electric window switch, or Power Window Master Switch (“PWMS”), controls the windows for the driver and passengers. It has come to our attention that on certain RAV4, Auris and Yaris and Corolla* models built between September 2006 and December 2008 the possibility exists that the PWMS, located in the driver’s door, may over time begin to feel uneven or notchy when it is operated. Continued operation in this condition may cause the switch to stick or become inoperable. The switch is not designed to be lubricated with commercially available lubricants. Application of these lubricants could lead to overheating and/or melting of the switch assembly.

There has been one reported case in the UK. There are no reported accidents related to this issue.

What will be done?

Customer satisfaction is of paramount importance to Toyota. Consequently, Toyota has decided to conduct a recall campaign to check the PWMS on the affected cars.

All affected owners will be contacted by Toyota GB within the next six weeks and asked to make an appointment to bring their car to their nearest Toyota centre. The dealer will check the operation of the PWMS. If the PWMS is operating properly it will be given a special, non-conducting lubrication; if the PWMS is notchy it will be replaced with a new unit. The work should take no more than one hour and will be carried out free of charge.

If owners require additional information they should contact Customer Relations on 0800 1388 744.

EDIT: Check if your car is affected at www.toyota.co.uk/recall

Kingo

:thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

When operating my drivers door window, it goes down with a sound like a squealing cat. I poured animal killer in first but it hasn't helped. So I now mustn't lubricate the thing either ???

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Kingo for the info, mine is one of them according to your link :( hope TOYOTA Malta will do necessary arrangement and won't try to walk away with it, as already tried with my engine...

All recalls are initiated by TMC so there should be no problems in getting it done

Kingo :thumbsup: