Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Recalls 7.4 Million Cars

Toyota Owners Club

Toyota is recalling over seven million cars worldwide due to a fault with the electric windows.

What's the Problem?

The problem is down to the master window switch on the driver's side which appears to be "notchy or sticky" according to Toyota. There is a risk of damaging, and in one reported case, melting the switch when any commercially available lubricant is applied in an attempt to solve the problem.

What cars are affected?

It affects most models in the Toyota range including the Yaris, Auris and RAV4, built between 2006 and 2008. Despite earlier reports, Toyota has confirmed to us that the Corolla is not part of the recall.

Around 138,000 vehicles are in the UK are involved in the recall.

What happens next?

All owners who are affected by this recall will be contacted by Toyota directly within the next six weeks and asked to book an appointment to get the fault repaired. If you are particularly concerned then there is a registration look up on the toyota.co.uk website or you can call them on 0800 1388744 to check if your car is affected. Toyota will either replace the faulty switch or lubricate with purpose made lubricant it depending on how bad it is. Repairs will be carried out free of charge.

If you have been affected by the recall please let us know how you get on below. And we are also happy to try answer any questions you might have about what is happening with the recall.

Check out our full article on Toyota's worldwide recall here: http://www.toyotaown...7-4million-cars

Hi :) On here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19894322 - it states that it's "The range of Toyota cars affected worldwide include certain models of the Yaris, Vios, Corolla, Matrix, Auris, Camry, RAV4, Highlander, Tundra, Sequoia, xB and xD produced between 2005 and 2010."

You can delete my post once that's amended if you like, and apologies if I've got it wrong! Just thought I'd try to help.

Hi there, thanks for your reply. The 2005 - 2010 bracket is for the worldwide recall but the vehicles that are affected in the UK were only produced between 2006 - 2008.

The word from Toyota is "It has come to our attention that on certain RAV4, Auris, Yaris and Corolla models built between September 2006 and December 2008"

Thanks for pointing this out though as it is the sort of thing we want to clear up.

BREAKING: We have confirmed with Toyota that the Corolla is not involved in the recall, despite their earlier reports. That means the only UK models affected are the Yaris, RAV4 and Auris.

Hey, do you guys know if the Hilux is also affected in this? I have noticed the driver side window (right side) sometimes gives problems as in it doesn't work. Been to the dealer about it and they seemed to have fixed it but it still gives problems but not very often. Please let me know!!!

Aint i the lucky one, two recalls for me :dots: rear suspension arm and now this.....just my luck lol.

Helen

Be bathed in the knowledge that you are the lucky one and Toyota are looking after you :D:

Kingo :thumbsup:

This is true i guess :flowers: a little more TLC won't harm her lol, already done my part in improving the MPG :doctor:

Hmmmm.. this is interesting.. I told them about my window being notchy ages ago.. like about 11 months ago.. .. I have an Auris MMT TR which comes with a whole host of other issues of which I have had to accept as being inherent with the car's transmission and not my driving! At least now though it means that this gets fixed.. they did not believe me then! :-)

Do wish they would recall my car for an admission of a fault on the MMT though, that really would put a big smile on my face!

This is what the header page says...

Quote "The fire risk occurs when any sort of lubricant is applied in an attempt to solve the problem."

And further down the page is the fix,

Quote "Toyota will either replace the faulty switch or lubricate it depending on how bad it is."

So if any sort of lubricant causes a problem why would Toyota lubricate it as a fix ?

So if any sort of lubricant causes a problem why would Toyota lubricate it as a fix ?

Because Toyota are not using "any sort of lubricant" They are using a special flourine based product, specifically designed for the purpose. Commercially available lubricants are NOT suitable, as most people would use WD40 or similar and that is where the problem lies

This is what the header page says...

Quote "The fire risk occurs when any sort of lubricant is applied in an attempt to solve the problem."

And further down the page is the fix,

Quote "Toyota will either replace the faulty switch or lubricate it depending on how bad it is."

It depends on what sort of lubricant is used,

"The switch is not designed to be lubricated with commercially available lubricants. Application of these lubricants could lead to overheating and/or melting of the switch assembly.." http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-announces-recall-of-auris-rav4-yaris-and-corolla-in-the-uk

Meaning if you go out and buy a product off the shelf, maybe something someone might buy in Halfords, its going to be the wrong product. Toyota have the right sort of lubricant.

Thanks for the clarification Kingo although I think you have to agree it doesn't read well.

I suppose it should say "when the WRONG lubricant is used"

Problem is, most people look at lube being the same no matter what :naughty:

Hi everyone, We have amended the original post to have some clarification on the point surrounding the lubricating. Thanks for pointing out the confusion.

The range of Toyota cars affected worldwide include certain models of the Yaris, Vios, Corolla, Matrix, Auris, Camry, RAV4, Highlander, Tundra, Sequoia, xB and xD produced between 2005 and 2010.

In the UK, the models affected are the RAV4, Yaris, Auris and Corolla.

It will be contacting drivers with the affected models over the coming weeks and asking them to bring their car in for checks to see if there is a fault.

Toyota said fixing the switch should take about 40 minutes.

The customer services director for Toyota GB, Steve Settle, apologised to customers for the anxiety the problem had caused, but reassured them that tests had shown there was little danger.

"What we're talking about is the power switch on the driver's door and there is a very, very outside chance that there could be melting inside the switch," he said.

"But there are some vehicle agencies around the world that interpret melting as fire. We've no evidence of fire and our engineer testing of this item doesn't reveal any chance of fire."

The previous post on the is correct, the chance of melting is very slim. We have also heard today that Toyota has tested the switches thoroughly and in no case has fire resulted. We would just like to assure people that Toyota has confirmed that the UK Corolla is not affected by this recall despite earlier reports.

Can I ask who is Toyota Owners Club (admin) ??? Who makes the posting?

So the workaround is just to not lubricate it until Mr T can!

I am still amazed they issued an official recall over something this trivial! :lol:

Hi Kingo, I am the Associate Editor here.

Just it looks like the posts are being made by Toyota rather than TOC ;)