Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Coolent Query

jayt13

Hi All,

quick question I have a E12 corolla 1.4 Petrol (07) 86K miles on the clock just had my service done on the car and the service guy said to me my engine coolent needs replacing due to it has weakend up due to its, apparently they use some sort of tester like a thermeter which shows them the strength of coolent but that got me thinking in the service manual it says engine coolent is required to be replaced at 100K Service.

Does anyone think Toyota are trying to make a sale out of this or do you think they are being genuine saying it needs replacing?

hi mate , my haynes manual says replace every 40,000 miles unless using toyota pink coolant which is filled forlife. your 07 would be using the pink i would imagine.guess it is possible it could of lost its strength . is it still looking pink ?

yeah mine is still pink occasionally the cooolent goes down but everytime it gets service they top it up so it shouldn't loose its strength and they say they have topped it up today aswell..

i think your coolant is fine then . am sure they're just trying to get a sale. my toyota garage always try and get an extra sale out of me by saying the code reading machine has picked something up . i always ignore it , if the car is running fine its running fine.

Yeah that's what I thought just wanted to get it confirmed.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Hi,

On the underside of the bonnet near the front edge you should see a Toyota label saying its filled with Longlife coolant and only needs changing at 100k - do you have one -my 56 plate does.

Auto Express did at report on Antifreeze Testers recently - the Best buy was the Gunson at £3 , the Halfords at £2 was also decent, so why not get one for your own piece of mind.

Still at 86 out of 100K you are not far off the changing point anyway and if we have a mega cold winter you do not want to be left short..

How much are Toyota quoting for doing the antifreeze change and are they using the same longlife antfreeze which is quiet expensive.

Its an easy enough diy job providing you do it properly.ps - how much coolant are you loosing between services ?

Yeah its currently used long life coolent.

Toyota are quoting £39 for changing coolant part& Labor.

I don't loose that much coolant between service probably 3-5cm from the full level.

You shouldnt be lossing any coolant at all. Plus what i imagine there topping the coolant up with everytime is just tap water. This will be why the coolants gone weak.

£39 is a real good price from the dealer tbf, the coolants about £27 but thats for 5l and youll only use half of it.

I think youd be best chasing the coolant leak first before having it changed