Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking To Buy A 1.6 Corolla

Aamir2892

Hi Guys.

Looking to buy a Corolla maybe 04-05. I've heard a lot of the famous oil consumption issues with these engine due to poor engine/piston design and the oil return holes getting blocked and causing the oil to be sucked up rather than back down to the sump.

So wanted to ask, should I get one and what to look out for. Also if anyone has had experience with this issue and if their is any other topics regrading this issue, Because this has put me off getting one, but I really wanted to get a Corolla 1.6 VVT-I.

Many Thanks

Hi,

I've got a 1.6 and its been no problem at all, just standard service items.

The oil problem, think if you search this forum there is mention it does not affect engines after a certain date, think it was 2005 but do check.

Are you swapping your Avensis for a Corolla or as a second car.

As your Avensis is 2005 I would always take that over the Corolla, unless there is some compelling reason ..?

Not that there is anything wrong with the Rolla, just the Avensis is so much better at comfort and mway cruising; which you appreciate as your bones get older !

Hi,

I've got a 1.6 and its been no problem at all, just standard service items.

The oil problem, think if you search this forum there is mention it does not affect engines after a certain date, think it was 2005 but do check.

Are you swapping your Avensis for a Corolla or as a second car.

As your Avensis is 2005 I would always take that over the Corolla, unless there is some compelling reason ..?

Not that there is anything wrong with the Rolla, just the Avensis is so much better at comfort and mway cruising; which you appreciate as your bones get older !

Thanks for the reply.

The Avensis is actually my dad’s car. I'm 20 and currently drive a 1.4 Peugeot 206 which I've been driving for a year. Great car haven't had any problems with it. Really wanted to get a Corolla for my next car, 1.6 don't need any bigger than that. It’s just the oil consumption issue has put me in different minds. My sister drives a Mini Cooper 1.6 and they are well known also for oil consumption, and I have to check the oil level regularly and top up as needed. Don’t really want to do the same with my car if it’s a heavy drinker. I've heard that a new short block with new piston design is the only way to solve it. The only thing is, I have a years no claims and the newer the car is the more the insurance would be. Something 03-05 would be OK Few posts on other web sites say the early 01-04 have the issues, and I don’t know if and when Toyota fixed the issue.

Hi,

Just looking around the forum and there is no authoritive info on which engines burn oil.

Some reports say not a problem on the 2005 onwards models, other say not a problem on the E12 Facelift models.

Perhaps you can call in to your local T dealer and see if they can give you some specific dates.

( perhaps the forum member Parts King aka Kingo can help if you drop him a pm)

Also seem to remember some comment that now it is very unlikely Mr T will do anything for free on the oil burning issues as all those engines are now so old anyway.

If it hasn't got a full and correct T service history, they would not entertain a claim anyway.

My 1.6 has only used about 500ml between each of the last two 10k services I have done; now at 60kSuggest you look for the 1.6 colour collection, is got plenty of extras almost the same as the T3 and less likely to have been thrashed than the SR which just has a few extra bolt on body bits.

I've had by facelift corolla 1.6vvti T3 since the start of the year, and I check my oil very week and it been fine. Wich I had bought one ages ago.

Ive put some modd's on and used it on a track day and it never missed a beat.

I got it with FSH and a old guy drove it.

Pistons were changed in 2003 so every car after this doesnt have this problem.

I have a 00 vvti engine and even with 160k on the "oil burning" pistons it doesnt use a huge amount of oil anyway...

Buy one. There a much better car than a 206 :P