Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatic Shift Illumination

Kryten

Hi, could someone help me with replacing the lamp which lights the automatic "PRNDS" symbols on the shift lever surround. Is it simply a case of prising off the silver trim bezel to get at the lamp, or does it require a bit more effort and time? I have tried the "search" function but it returned zero results!

I can't remember if the trim comes off but it's easy to remove the complete section including the ashtray. Start at the end nearest the handbrake and simply pull/prise upwards, and rearwards as it comes loose.

Thank you for that my friend, I will have a go at it later today.

I did manage to replace the bulb knowing how to gain access to it, thanks to your suggestion but then it blew again shortly afterwards!!!

Happy to help. Bummer your new bulb blew. Hopefully just a dodgy bulb and nithing more sinister.

Hello guys!

i have an 2006 automatic Avensis that i bought last year.

i don't have light for the PRND. so i suppose that the bulb was burnt before i bought the car.

i took out the cover with the ashtray, removed the ashtray connection and i couldn't find the bulb to replace. it is a bit crowdy in there :)

can you give me a more detailed help in order to find the bulb?

thank you

Adrian

Hello Adrian, I don' t think your in the right place! You need to lift the whole surround starting from the bottom near the hand brake end just like Alan333 kindly told me to do.

Once you remove that ( you will need to remove the gear knob and also place the lever in "N" to do that) then you will see the bulb held in the transparent moulding on the reverse, which you also need to prise out to remove the actual bulb holder, you can't miss it! To be honest this sounds far more complex than it actually is.

The bulb is 1.2W.

dear Kryten,

just one more question regarding replacing the bulb from the automatic gear box: how did you remove the gear knob? i tried gently to twist and lift it and it didn't get out. please let me know how, on toyoDIY was not explicit, it is just showing that is removable and that's it.

thank you!

Mine simply unscrews anti-clockwise!

I also failed to mention that once you have the main cover off you will have to remove the actual PRNDS moulding itself, I just pushed it to one side (left), to release the lugs holding it.

The bulb is on the reverse of that, in the clear plastic section (which also needs to be prised out) so you can finally twist out the bulb holder.

dear Kryten,

thank you very much! i have managed today to change the bulb following your steps. now it looks like a proper auto gearbox especially by night. :)

good luck and many thanks again!

Hey, glad to have helped, I couldn't have done it myself without the kind help originally provided to me when I first asked.

Further tips; To remove the indicator panel there is a slot halfway along the left side. Use a screwdriver here to prise the left side out whilst easing out the top corner and then bottom corner with another screwdriver under the panel, when unclipped push the panel to the right to release it completely. Put gear into neutral and with the gear knob unscrewed the panel can be lifted and turned over to access the bulb. With long-nose pliers give the bulbholder 1/4 turn and withdraw. The bulb is a standard clear

1.2w push-fit type 286 with a removeable orange cap. Under the panel is a flexible dust cover which moves with the shift lever.

When refitting the panel make sure the dust cover is placed securely against the shoulder on the left, by holding in place with a finger through the top of the indicator panel when reassembling. I managed to reassemble everything with this dust cover out of position, and ended up with a very tight notchy shift lever.

• 9 months later...

Hi Guys,

I have a 2005 Avensis with automatic transmission, and the light has gone out. I've removed the console with the ashtray attached but cannot find a bulb attached anywhere to the underside of the console.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers,

Ron

• 6 years later...

Lads 

I had a crack at this today (one of my lockdown DIY tasks). I followed all the steps above.. But was able to remove the bulb without removing the gear knob. I think my picture will show this. Thought I'd put the pic up to help others with this tedious little job. I did spend a good while cleaning out a lot of dusty gunk that had accumulated under these covers. 

I replaced the bulb.. But didn't bother with the yellowy dust cover, just shoved a new 286 bulb in and get presto... Can now see what I'm doing in the dark! 

IMG_20200418_145531.jpg