Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Rav's Average Mpg

benxt5

I've got 800 miles on the new Rav now and I've done my first proper brim to brim calculations on fuel.

Results are quite encouraging considering the newness/tightness of the engine.

I calculate 40.5 mpg for a mixed daily commute (10 mile each way) and weekend drives.

The thing that is even more amazing is that the trip computer says 41.2 mpg!

Now, if the old Rav said 41.2 mpg, you could bet I would only be getting about 35 mpg, and likewise if i was actually getting 40.5 mpg, the computer would say I was getting about 47 mpg!!!

The knock on effect of this is that the miles to empty is much more accurate (440 from a full tank, saying 30 left when filled back up after 407 miles).

I am most impressed!

How close (or far) from the mark is everyone else's computer?

I've done three 'brim to brim' fills with our 2011 rav, all on mixed running and averaged 42 mpg which is about what the computer says, I'm sure this will only improve in time, the last Rav, an 09 xtr D4D manual rarely showed below 46 mpg once it reached 20 k miles or so and had 'loosened up' a bit. When we go to Lytham which is a regular run we do, I set myself a challenge which I always just manage to achieve, zero the consumption figure and on a mixture of motorway and about ten miles of roads achieve above 50 mpg, small minds and all that.............

To be honest, I was most impressed by how close the trip computer was to the true figure rather than the figure itself. Especially after how far off the old Ravs computer always was!

only had our 09 2 months, 9 brim fills, have seen 50mpg on the read at times, acually averaging 42mpg, best tank 44 worst 36 but that was towing, well pleased

B-A aka Geordie

I've got 800 miles on the new Rav now and I've done my first proper brim to brim calculations on fuel.

I calculate 40.5 mpg for a mixed daily commute (10 mile each way) and weekend drives.

Now, if the old Rav said 41.2 mpg, you could bet I would only be getting about 35 mpg, and likewise if i was actually getting 40.5 mpg, the computer would say I was getting about 47 mpg!!!

The knock on effect of this is that the miles to empty is much more accurate (440 from a full tank, saying 30 left when filled back up after 407 miles).

I am most impressed!

Ben......please remind me....are you an automatic or manual gearbox...? Methinks the latter, going by Hoovie's figures.

Big Kev

I am most impressed!

Ben......please remind me....are you an automatic or manual gearbox...? Methinks the latter, going by Hoovie's figures.

Big Kev

Must be a Manual - the brochure (highly optimisitic) figures for an auto are below 40MPG.

now to the question re accuracy ...

1) I reset my trip computer figures between fillups and I find the Computer MPG is usually about 1MPG LESS then the Brim to Brim figure, so pretty accurate and actually under reading - unlike the RAV4.2 one!

2) I have also found that the odometer - and therefore the brim-to-brim accuracy - is out by around 3%, so when the ODO says I have down 100 Miles, I have actually done 103 Miles, which means the real economy is near enough 3% better then calculated (and my RAV4 has actually done over 500 miles more then the ODO says as well)

I have a Rav4 Diesel 2.2 2008 since new, and I have never reset the miles per gallon display and after 4 years it displays between 46.7 47.7 depending on the length of runs I do it has now done nerarly 39000 miles.

I am more than pleased with this performance.

Where ever I drive I set the Cruise Control to the current roads speed limit, and hardly ever break the speed limit.

I have a Rav4 Diesel 2.2 2008 since new, and I have never reset the miles per gallon display and after 4 years it displays between 46.7 47.7 depending on the length of runs I do it has now done nerarly 39000 miles.

I am more than pleased with this performance.

Where ever I drive I set the Cruise Control to the current roads speed limit, and hardly ever break the speed limit.

I have same engine in my RAV and reset the MPG readout evry fill. It is currently reading 47.6MPG since last fill but I know from copius records since new that the overall average, using brim to brim calculation, is 42.4 MPG. That is only a gnats wotsit away from the published manufacturers expectation. Currently at 59850 miles.

Above is based on a mixture of rural, urban and motorway miles.

I can only say I'm impressed with your figures, I have yet to break the 40 MPG barrier, I did a lot better in my 09 Rav, hoping that it will get better with age unlike the driver...

Gus

I am most impressed!

Big Kev

Must be a Manual - the brochure (highly optimisitic) figures for an auto are below 40MPG.

now to the question re accuracy ...

1) I reset my trip computer figures between fillups and I find the Computer MPG is usually about 1MPG LESS then the Brim to Brim figure, so pretty accurate and actually under reading - unlike the RAV4.2 one!

2) I have also found that the odometer - and therefore the brim-to-brim accuracy - is out by around 3%, so when the ODO says I have down 100 Miles, I have actually done 103 Miles, which means the real economy is near enough 3% better then calculated (and my RAV4 has actually done over 500 miles more then the ODO says as well)

Can I ask what you used and how you determined that the odo is out by a few percent? I am intrigued...

Can I ask what you used and how you determined that the odo is out by a few percent? I am intrigued...

I have a ScanGauge EODB Reader fitted to the car and that was showing the distance driven being greater then the ODO was showing, which made me want to check more.

So .... to determine which was more accurate, I then used Sat-Navs (both the built on one and a TomTom) to check the distance traveled on a couple of sample journeys, plus road signs to get the distance count downs and everything EXCEPT the ODO tallied up.

It does kind of bug me that the ScanGauge - whose data is provided by the cars electronics, can tell me the correct speed and the correct mileage, but the dashboard display, also provided by the car of course, gives me the wrong speed and the wrong distance, even though there is clearly no real reason why they cannot be spot on as well.

That's similar to how the new satnav and odo aren't in perfect sync in mine. It shows the speed limit on the screen and the sign turns red when you go over it. No annoying beep so quite a nice touch other than the 30 turns red at about 32mph on the Speedo and the 70 at about 74mph, so about 6% difference. I can't see this being down to them giving you a buffer (in line with the law) as they would be opening themselves up for potential blame when people get tickets.

There is a setting page on the Satnav to off/on the verbal warning and also the mph over the limit that it warns you at, frightened the life out of me after I changed the defaults, I was tootling down the road not using the Satnav, listening to the radio and it piped up, "you are exceeding the speed limit"

Gus

Does it get the speed limits right always?

My Toyota OEM sat nay does not do speed limits or cameras, but I have a plug in unit in my Master and that generally does a good job of speed limit warnings but it sometimes get confused if I am on say a 70 limit road and a 40 limt road crosses it and suddenly get an over-limit warning.

I switched the audible warning off and also the beep for speed cameras. They are so frequent in my area, driving down the road is like being at a rave with the constant beeping!

The speed limits are pretty well sorted. It changes from a 30 to a 50 as i leave Cannock and the sign on the screen changes within yards of passing the road sign, literally a second after I pass it. The only drawback is that it does not change the motorway limit when the variable limits are in force. It always says 70 but I can't remember the last time I drove down the m6 and it was any more than 50 or 60 mph!

On a side note, the live traffic reports that can be filtered to your area are really useful, as is the extra map info that links through Google. All in all, a cracking system.

Mine is showing just about 40 which is fine for less than 1000 miles and mixed running. I will do some tank to tanks when it is settled in. It has only had high grade fuel since the original jap fuel and it has a DPF.

It does have some errors in the speed database, where for example the M25 has had long term roadworks and the limits was reduced to 40 when the maps where compiled, every time I cruise through that area now the roadworks have gone at 69mph.... It suddenly pipes up "you're exceeding the speed limit".

Mind you they have offered me an update to the maps at £107, there is no separate update for the speed limit database.

In general quite impressed with this part of the nav, just the accuracy in post codes is a shame, might have to ask Kev to check and see if the later map is better with the post codes, when he finishes playing with his new toy. Otherwise I will stick with the Tomtom when it needs to be accurate, plus the map updates are a lot cheaper.

Gus

It does have some errors in the speed database, where for example the M25 has had long term roadworks and the limits was reduced to 40 when the maps where compiled, every time I cruise through that area now the roadworks have gone at 69mph.... It suddenly pipes up "you're exceeding the speed limit".

Mind you they have offered me an update to the maps at £107, there is no separate update for the speed limit database.

In general quite impressed with this part of the nav, just the accuracy in post codes is a shame, might have to ask Kev to check and see if the later map is better with the post codes, when he finishes playing with his new toy. Otherwise I will stick with the Tomtom when it needs to be accurate, plus the map updates are a lot cheaper.

Gus

It will take me years to decipher that Touchy-Feely-Go thing, Gus. The absence of a Linn turntable option rather hacked me off, so will just continue listening to Perry Como in binary file mode.

Vinyl Kev

On my petrol 4.2 the mpg figures on the display are 10 - 12% optimistic. I don't suppose there's any kind of adjustment on the back of the head unit or anywhere?

It does kind of bug me that the ScanGauge - whose data is provided by the cars electronics, can tell me the correct speed and the correct mileage, but the dashboard display, also provided by the car of course, gives me the wrong speed and the wrong distance, even though there is clearly no real reason why they cannot be spot on as well.

The way the speedo reads is set out in EC directives and certificated for type approval for mass produced cars. The speedo must never read lower than the actual speed travelled, and the indicated speed must not exceed 110% of the actual speed. The reason a speedo is not made entirely accurate is to allow for tyre wear, temperature, pressures, vehicle load etc. In other words, a degree of inaccuracy is built in

Kingo :thumbsup:

On my petrol 4.2 the mpg figures on the display are 10 - 12% optimistic. I don't suppose there's any kind of adjustment on the back of the head unit or anywhere?

Nope. Just allow for it ;-)

Yeah, I got the one on my old 4.3 to read 56mpg average from j1-16 of the m5. The car only booked 49mpg extra-urban max!!! Mine was at least 15-20% over all the time. It also reckoned it would do 550+ miles on a tank!