Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 Verso 2 Litre Power And Design

tims2658

I owned my previous 2.2 diesel Verso (2006 model) for 6 very happy years, it towed a caravan and 4 wheel car trailer extensively and never missed a beat over 160,000 kms here in France.The best thing about it was the engine characteristics, superb pulling power at low revs and great fuel economy, it would do 4.5 litres/100 kms on a trip (60 mpg).

Recently I bought a new 2012 Verso, now with the 2 litre unit, again diesel. There are some excellent features, it has (Renault Scenic style) storage places and little things like the emergency flasher switch doesn't get turned on by mistake because its under the dash opening !

However the new 2 litre engine is a total disappointment after the old unit. It drives like a "peaky" petrol unit, poor throttle response, wont pull in 6 th gear at the French speed limit and is very lacking in torque (essential for towing). Also it does 6.6 litre/100 kms all the time, so obviously, the new engine is far less fuel efficient as you need to be in a lower gear to make "normal" progress.

I have taken steps to make my Verso as good as the previous one, and now (please note Toyota) for a mere 212 euros it has probably better performance and torque than my 2.2.

I fitted (10 mins) the terrific German "add on " unit by Racechip. It came the next day after ordering, and while the instructions were in German, the pictures were clear enough to make fitting straight forward.

They claim 126 bhp to 156 bhp, torque from 310 to 385 nm....and it certainly feels like it has masses of increased torque. Amazingly it mow always does 5.9 litres/100 kms, and like the old 2.2, likes 6th gear on normal roads.

I'm impressed with both the vastly improved power and the good service from Racechip and would recommend them to any other Verso or 2 litre diesel powered Toyota .

In my previous life before retirement, I ran TSR Performance in the UK, tuning VW's mainly, so I know a good improvement when I see one!

Come on Toyota, you new Verso should be a huge improvement over the old model, instead you serve up a mediocre "export to Zambia" type of engine, and obviously the engine is easily capable of producing some serious torque, why not set it up better and give your customers what they expect, without us having to do your engine development for you at our expense.

Looks like Toyota have already listened to you!

Verso’s 2.0-litre D-4D diesel engine has been revised for better torque delivery at low revs and quieter running. At the same the engine’s CO2 emissions have been reduced by 10g/km to fall below 130g/km. The towing capacity has been increased by 200kg to 1,500kg.

The 2013 Verso will also have the 175bhp D-CAT engine available once again. Having removed this engine from all Toyota models around 2009, I can only assume Toyota are confident they've fixed the known problems with this engine.

• 4 weeks later...

The 2013 Verso will also have the 175bhp D-CAT engine available once again. Having removed this engine from all Toyota models around 2009, I can only assume Toyota are confident they've fixed the known problems with this engine.

Are you sure? This motor (177ps) was and still available on all Toyotas Verso, Avensis and Rav4 in Europe. Perhaps this is the case only in UK?