Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iq Steering Noise

Durham IQ

Hi Guys,

I've been having this re-occurring problem that's been ongoing since I got my IQ 1:33 in 2010.

When I'd turn the wheel on full-lock right then full-lock left I would hear this terrible noise that I can only describe as a cracking swushing sound... Its been into the Toyota garage twice and each time they say they've had to change the strut tops at the front. Each time the noise vanishes but later returns.

The cars under Warranty for 3 years which will be up in 3 months time and I'm worried the garage is just playing for time till that elapses then they'll reveal the real extent of the problem!

Have you had any other suspension work done in the past, New dampers, springs, Etc?

I fitted new springs a while back and I removed the strut assembly from the car, took it apart and was 100% convinced I laid all the parts out on the bench in the right order, So convinced in fact I did it twice, both sides of the car.

Once I rebuilt it all though and went for a test drive there was a horrible sound and clonking from the suspension when turning the wheels. Less pronounced when driving but when stationary it was really quite loud and you could feel the clunk through the car as well as hear it.

I took the spring apart again and realised that there is a bearing in there (Strut mounting bearing in the attached picture) that allows the coil spring to rotate as you turn the wheels and this was fitted the wrong side of the steel plate (Front coil spring upper seat in the drawing)

As I said, I was convinced I put it back together as it came apart but this bearing was clearly in the wrong place and once returned to where it should be, the steering was quiet as a mouse. There was grease on the spring bumper too so whether it was like that from manufacture and the problem only showed because I fitted shorter, lowering springs I really can't say but now the steering feels better than before?

As the symptoms sound similar, I'd be checking there first.

If you happen to live close to me I'd be happy to take one of the struts off and take a look.

Craig.

post-116364-0-46412800-1350030259_thumb.

Pleased you replied... If the problem gets beyond my warranty and they can't fix it I'll gladly pop down to let you look have a look... I'm up in Durham but if this is a problem you think you can fix I'll pay you

Hi

Just read your problem on steering noise. I have an IQ 1.33 12 plate and when its on full lock and then coming off full lock it makes a scrape type noise.

I had toyota look at it and they said because its new when you put it on full lock something was expanding and when it came off full lock its was contracting back and this was making a noise because it was dry, they lubricated it and the niose has stopped.

Hope this helps.

The last time they fixed it the told be they replaced the strut tops and adjusted the tracking... Now I'm wondering why the tracking has anything to do with this.

Funny you should say that Craig as I have a similar problem. It's only when turning left at 20-40mph going around small roundabouts with a few holes in the road that you can hear it. Almost sounds like a broken spring. Checked all suspension and joints/springs/track rods and all seems stiff. Only last month its being doing this and have had springs on for a while now (6months)

Did your vehicle require the steering recall or the Brake pipe replacement recall?

Is this at full lock at slow speeds, parking etc.

Or is it going faster like around a mini roundabout or 90 degree turn?

Are the Brake calipers free & moving OK, & are your pads OK with lots of meat on them?

george

Yeah I've had all the recalls on the IQ.... and yeah is parking and maneuvering at low speeds when I hear the noise.

I had a steering noise in my iQ. I took it in to the dealer to get it checked out. They found the problem to have a very easy solution. My tires were not all evenly inflated. I had 1 tire with too much air and another under inflated. They adjusted that and the noise went away.

My iQ is actually a Scion. I live in Texas.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links