Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Idle Problem On An Avensis 1.8 T3-X

mick1018

Hi, never used this before.

I have a problem with idle speed when I switch engine on regardless of how cold the engine is. It goes up to 2000 revs and takes about 3 to 4 minutes to come back down.

2000 rpm is very good

once the engine is heated the rpm are dropped up to 750

the above is when A/C is off. but if you start it up the rpm are being increased again up to about 1900

no panic matey

regards / Igor

The 1.8vvt-i engine starts up quite revved. I donn`t know about the 2000rpm that you were talking about, mine starts in ~1800rpm and after 2-3 mins it gets down to ~1100rpm(that is in idle only, without driving the car away). The correct idle value for when the engine is at working temperature is 650rpm (not 750) and when you switch on the lights or the AC it goes up to 750-800rpm.

Also, be aware of the fact that the AC compressor works intermitently, so when the AC is switched on the rpm will vary between 650rpm and ~800 rpm (when it is very hot outside, like around 40 degrees it will sometimes go up to almost 1000rpm, for short periods).

You can see mine starting up cold at 1 degree here:

When the engine is warm or at working temperature(the engine indicator in not located at the base of the scale) it should start in lower revvs (~1200-1400) and drop down towards 800 revs almost instantly.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links