Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A 2nd Head Unit In A Gti?

gavdidit

Does anyone know if a 2nd head unit (or graphic eq.) will fit under the existing one? (where the plasic thing with TOYOTA written on it is)

If so is it possible to set up another head unit to the existing speakers/sub etc?

I ask as i have the opertunity to buy a unit with built in DAB for £90 from a mate, whereas a kenwood DAB tuner is approx £400 which i cant afford at the mo.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Hello my friend,

ive had a chat with my local ice dealer and he said 2 headunits can be contacted together with the right cables but he did say it might be a tight fit and may have too stagger them slighty.

Hope this helps you out abit :D

Respect Saxokiller :ph34r:

The original HU in the GTi was a casette player/radio and the panel covers a space designed to take an add-on Toyota single CD player which connected to the tape/radio. So it should be exactly the right size for an additional DIN sized unit.

The original HU in the GTi was a casette player/radio and the panel covers a space designed to take an add-on Toyota single CD player which connected to the tape/radio. So it should be exactly the right size for an additional DIN sized unit.

you sure about that add on ? in the GTi the small section under neath is used in Australia to house some funky cup holders !

You can just squeeze a slim line EQ in there, i have a nice pioneer on in the garage that i use to have sitting there...

You could fit a Din unit in there with minimal trimming, if you really want it you 'll do it..... ;) wouldnt it be better to get just one head unit that did everythign you want rather than bodging a quick fix that may not be as neat inthe long run ?? (head over heart and all that.....)

The original HU in the GTi was a casette player/radio and the panel covers a space designed to take an add-on Toyota single CD player which connected to the tape/radio.  So it should be exactly the right size for an additional DIN sized unit.

you sure about that add on ? in the GTi the small section under neath is used in Australia to house some funky cup holders !

Pretty sure about it - cos I has one in my GTi for a couple of years.

yup your right i took my one out last night as i was bored to measure up for the cup holders LoL and a second DIN unit will just about fit, its very tight down the sides where the screws are though ! and my headunits surround hangs a little low making it cramped at the opening.

thanks guys

How would i attach it though? Do i need a double din cage (if there is such a thing) or is there something in there already?

Also what do i need to wire it up? i run front Speakers from the head unit and a sub from an amp. will it be easier to get a 2nd amp for the Speakers to run from and some RCA splitters?

I appologise if i sound a bit thick about all this but i dont want to blow my head unit up! lol. if i know what to do i think i can do it but i want to be sure before i do?

on a different note..... is anyone going to Japfest at Castle Coombe on May 22nd??

Thanks again

ideally you'd put resistors in each line carryign a signal from each headunit to stop back feed induced distortion, power failure and nastiness....

It would be good to run the rca leads from both headunits through a switch to avoid nakering your amp so you can only have one or the other never both