Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New member imported Landcruiser questions

nhoward

Hi there

I have just bought a Japanese import 1991 4.2 VX Auto Limited Landcruiser and have some questions if anyone can help:

1/ The cruise control is limited to 70mph. Is there a way of re-setting this higher ? I am told that UK vehicles didnt have the cc option until '94 and dont know whether the cc on UK vehicles was the same as mine

2/ The radio covers different frequencies. Is there a way to re-set it - its the factory fit Sony unit

3/ There is a red button just to the top right of the auto shifter. What does this do ?

4/ Is there anywhere I can pick up an English instruction manual for this vehicle ? or, did they export the VX Limited to any other English speaking countries, ie USA

5/ Which fuse covers the internal courtesy lights (which dont work) and what else is on the same relay (which might be working ?

6/ What was the original tyre size fitted to the vehicle ? Mine is now on 285 Goodrich All Terrains

Many Thanks

Not a Landcruiser person but will have attempt, will get corrected shortly Im sure if wrong....

1) Set to national speed limit so don't think it can be changed.

2) If the radio is the jap radio you can get a convertor for it very easily, am sure someone will post where.

3) Am guessing overdrive, prolly wrong.

4) Previously posted was a link for english manuals, if you browse through the forum am sure you'll find it

5) Not a clue

6) Not a clue

Hope thats of some help, although I know prolly not much....

All the best and welcome aboard

Ryan

The handbooks were at jpnz.co.nz (i think that was the addy) As for the courtesy lights, does it turn on at the manual switch, and not with the doors open? OR not at all? I only ask because when I blew a fuse bothe the courtesy light and the clock went.

Thanks Legbreaker and rhaines.

I tried two links mentioned in other posts for manuals but L'Cruisers not mentioned so will keep looking.

Without a handbook or pulling the fuses one by one its difficult to work out what else is on the internal light circuit. I am sure it is door controlled from the switches on the bulkhead door post. There are some additional controls installed which I THINK are do do with the stereo, but could be to do with a mauve flashing light next to the rear number plate which I havent had a chance to look at in detail yet

3) There is a red button just to the top right of the auto shifter. What does this do?

I believe this will be one of two things. Firstly the outside chance it is to do with the 4WD. But this I doubt.

The more likely function of it is to switch the box between sports and economy. If it is this try putting your foot flat from stand still in drive using each setting. You should see the initial couple of gear changes take place at different RPM levels (about 500 - 1000 RPM different) for each setting. Sports or 'power' leave the box in a lower gear longer so the changes are higher in the RPM's.

This is offcours provided it is a button. Being red I am doubtful of the above the more I think about it. I take it is is on the gear shift where your thumb normally sits? A lot of autos have a button which is not an electrical button as such there. It releases some safety catches which allow you to shift from drive to reverse so you don't hit reverse while driving forwards. Normally it needs to be depressed to move through park. If it isn't the power mode as highlighted by the RPM test it will be tis and one of the linkages in the shifter will be displaced (meaning it will shift freely between gears and park). They don't take a huge bang or need much forcing to damage. They either move freely or bind completely.

Hope this helps.

think the landcruiser button to release the gear shift is a big button coded to the colour of the change so pretty sure its not shift release...

It's got to be one of the two then.

Either Ryan's overdrive which should be easy to prove / disprove or likewise the power / economy.

If you have a sunroof it is definitely the get me out of here ejector seat. Use wisely. Sensors must detect rising water / lava / fire / impending airbag deployment / etc... or similar before it is activated.

here are a few things i can answer

1/ The cruise control is limited to 70mph. Is there a way of re-setting this higher ? I am told that UK vehicles didnt have the cc option until '94 and dont know whether the cc on UK vehicles was the same as mine

>> All depends if you have had the de-restrcicter taken off the vehicle... if the vehicle will not go faster than 112 (not sure what a land cruiser can do) then you are still restricted.

2/ The radio covers different frequencies. Is there a way to re-set it - its the factory fit Sony unit

>> you need a Band Expander.. I have one for sale for £14 if you want it.. let me know.

3/ There is a red button just to the top right of the auto shifter. What does this do ?

>> This red button allows you to move the shifter whithout the keys in the ignition.

4/ Is there anywhere I can pick up an English instruction manual for this vehicle ? or, did they export the VX Limited to any other English speaking countries, ie USA

>> I think someone else answered this above

How do.

Just read this post and realised that you need a handbook. I'm lead to belive that in Japan the Land Cruiser is called a Prado.

What's more I have Prado handbooks for sale.

www.spam.com

Will this help?

All the best

If it's the same as Dubai the Prado is an economy model LandCruiser, slightly smaller in size if I recall correctly, less powerful and less toys.

My folks used to have an Amazon and a Prado and they were definatly different....

Prado Info below, maybe someone here can spot a difference to the Land Cruiser..

Toyota Prado 4x4

station wagon, 5 seats (+2), 4 doors, ABS + twin air-bag (+seat-belt pre-tensioners) optional

loa: 4730mm, width: 1730mm, height: 1865mm track: 1475mm/1480mm, grnd clearance: 230mm

turning radius: 5.7m (kerb)

weight: 1720kg - 1805kg (unladen),

GVM: 2710kg, towing: 750kg (unbraked)

3.4L V6:

5VZ-FE, 3378cc, petrol, V6, efi,

4-valves/cyl, DOHC (per bank)

bore: 93.5mm, stroke: 82mm, c.r.: 9.6:1

transmission: 5m/4a, full-time 4WD, centre diff' lock

gear ratios 5m: 3.830:1, 2.062:1, 1.436:1, 1.000:1, 0.838:1 (4.22:1)

gear ratios 4a: 2.804:1, 1.531:1, 1.000:1, 0.753:1 (2.393:1)

transfer case: 1:1 (hi), 2.566:1 (lo); diff': 4.1:1 (rear LSD)

2.7L 4-cyl:

3RZ-FE, 2694cc, petrol, 4-cyl, efi, 4-valves/cyl, DOHC

bore: 95.0mm, stroke: 95.0mm, c.r.: 9.5:1

diff': 4.3:1 (rear LSD)

3L turbo diesel

suspension: indep'-coil/live-coil, brakes: disc/disc

tyres: 215-80R16 (30" o.a.d.), fuel-tank: 90L (+ 69L RV6)

(GXL, VX: 265/70R16 tyres (31" o.a.d.))

prices: turbo diesel 41,540 RV manual

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all replies and suggestions.

I have now found out that the cruise control setting cannot be changed in the UK as it was a Jap only option until 1994 and is only orderable as complete unit.

I have sorted the internal lights. It was not a fuse but a bad connection on the earth on one of the rear door sensors. The rear mauve flashing light, which comes on when the lights are on, is still flashing away but seems to be a good source of amusement to people following me so will stay until I have nothing better to do than disconnect it.

I still have not fathomed the red button by the gear shift. It does not appear to make any difference to when gear changes occur, so I am stopping whnever I see a Japanese looking person in South Devon and asking them if they understand what it says ! As there arent many Jap tourists that get down to my neck of the woods and I only use the vehicle at weekends, it could take a while to find my interpreter !

I have bought a band expander and now have the fun of fitting it. The Sony unit is a specific design for the vehicle and so i cant insert a tool and pop it out, but must somehow work out how to get behind the unit without takingthe whole dash apart.

I have tried all the manual companies suggested and have had no luck to date. The Prado is unfortunately a different vehicle. I'm sure I will find one at some point on eBay when I have the time

Nick

Just for future reference the fuse for the interior lights should be the "dome" fuse.

Also covers the radio.

• 1 month later...

The red button is so that you can move the gear shift when the vehicle is not running and the keys are out .

I just wondered, all these questions could be added to 'Challenge Carl...' in general discussion... No?? :)

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Just stumbled upon this site, we have a very similar car, although mine is 1995 and I'm in Devon. I've just found quite a few manuals online. Keep in touch if you want.

Regards,

Jamie

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links