Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Get The Wheel Repair Kit Out

Kay_iQ

Hi everyone,

So I've now got my shiny iQ home, and I was having a look to check the compressor and tyre repair kit is there. I've managed to find it under the little plastic tub in the boot, but how do you get this out? I've located the little plastic dials on either side but I still can't seem to get the plastic boot tray out. Seems it's pretty stuck. Is there an easy way? In the book it just points out that the kit is stored under the rear seats. To be honest, I'd re-word that to say 'under the impossible to remove boot tray'. Unless I'm doing this totally wrong :P

I can take pictures later if it's not clear what I'm going on about :)

Thanks!

Kay

On my car I folded the seat backs down, tuned the plastic clips on each side of the boot tray so they came out completely then the box simply lifted out. Nothing else holds it in there so it should be easy assuming it's not full of lead? :D

To get the tray out from under the seat though I think the correct procedure is to go in through the side doors, find the strap that sticks out under the rear seat base, pull that and hinge up the seat base. The spare wheel shaped foam insert with all it's contents can then be removed easily.

Craig.

Sounds right Craig, but there is a shallow plastic tray under the back seat that needs to come out first to get at the foam insert's contents.

Gordon :driving:

You don't need to go under the back seat to access the puncture repair kit. It's accessible from beneath the storage box behind the back seats. As Craig said, turn the plastic knobs (either side of the storage box; lift the flap first) until they pop out; the box can then be removed to reveal the puncture repair kit.

Dave

Thanks everyone! Didn't realise I could take out the little plastic twizly bits on the sides. Got those out and removed the lid off the box and everything was a doddle. Strange that the stuff in the compressor goes off! It says it expires 04/2013.. how much does it cost to get this replaced by Toyota? I've got a can of foam and a compressor already so might just hang onto that for a while. :)

If I remember correctly the official MrT sealant stuff cost something like £40-£50 to replace a couple of years ago, although someone found a supplier of a similar stuff much cheaper.

I think a lot of people carry the Holts type cans around, but I am not sure how reliable they are.

As I don't need the four seats I have a spare wheel in the back, to save a lot of hassle, and could be cheaper in the long run.

John

Sounds like a good idea. I've got the Holts foam stuff, haven't tried it yet. But if all else fails that's what the AA (or my boyfriend) is for :P

A passing thought about using the gunge, DONT if you can avoid it.

Get into the habit of before driving off just take a look at the tyres to make sure there are no flat bits at the bottom. If its flat only use gunge as a VERY LAST resort, because when you will be sold a brand new tyre.

Try argueing that the tyre is repairable, will be met with much shaking of the head, sharp intakes of breath about the stupidity of some people, sucking of teeth and shouts to fellow mates that there is real plonker in the garage.

Roll up with a un gunged tyre and you will treated like a normal motorist ! (sic)

Rgds

There is a lot of truth in that.

If you do have to use the sealant stuff and inflation pump, and it works OK, then be prepared to have to buy a new tyre because these tyre places can use the tyre being contaminated by the gunge as a reason for the "not being trained to handle it" but " I can sell you a new tyre" patter.

Some places will do it I believe but others won't so it is a bit of a lottery, certainly I would hope Toyota dealers couldn't use the gunge excuse as a reason for not at least checking to see if the tyre is repairable.

It is their gunge after all.

I use one of my winter wheels as a spare in the summer and vice versa in the winter. I am not averse to jacking the car up to change a wheel when required rather than having a verbal fight with a tyre fitter about not wanting to buy an unnecessary new tyre.

John

and check out the price of a new tyre for an iq3, it can be eyewatering for a small tyre. £120 inc vat is somewhere near the norm.Although NEXEN have started selling the 175/60/16 for around 40.

Something that is not publicised too much is that most Toyota dealers will carry out free puncture repairs providing the puncture can be legally repaired.......It could save you pounds against the "Traditional" puncture repair shops!

I think I'd only use the gunge if I'm lost in the middle of nowhere and with a puncture. I think to be honest I'd just call the AA anyway :) I know that gunge writes off the tyre, I wouldn't ever try and get one repaired. I did also hear they hate trying to take them off with all that stuff inside the tyre.

Once my boyfriend knocked a can of holts off the shelf in Halfords accidentally and it was crazy stuff. In seconds it'd covered about a metre square around him and his shoes, the shop attendant had trouble trying to contain it in a bag :S It was kind of scary!

Also, I've found my tyres (Bridgestone 175/60/16) at black circles with lots of tesco clubcard points for £117! So not bad, used to pay £150 for my mini tyres. So £30 less per tyre is quite a nice saving. :)

The boyfriend/AA solution will be fine if the gunge and inflator work as they should, because said guardian angels will be able to use it and the tyre should inflate and get you on your way.

If it doesn't work though, or the tyre has more damage than the gunge can seal then the only solution is to be "relayed" home on the back of an AA truck, as the AA do not carry spare wheels with them.

It is not really a satisfactory situation.

A puncture used to be a bit of a nuisance, but now if you don't carry a spare wheel, it can become a nightmare, and an expensive one at that.

John

I wonder if a space-saver wheel is available which will drop into the well so a spare can be carried at all times...

Hopefully Kingo, our friendly parts guru, will report ;)

Dave

Now that would be nice, if only!

I have carried a full size spare since I bought my first IQ 3-4 years ago and it has never been an inconvenience, because I always have the rear seats folded down anyway.

We can easily take enough luggage for a couple of weeks away with the wheel in the back as well, but it would be nice to have a lighter, thinner emergency one instead.

If it fitted in the well under the seat base so much the better!

John

I think the wheels on the Aygo and the Yaris are the same stud pattern and centre bore as the iQ. If they have space saver wheels, might be worth trying one for size.

Craig.

I think my Aygo of about 4 years ago had a full size spare, but the later models may be different.

Worth a look though, and the Yaris too.

John

I wonder if a space-saver wheel is available which will drop into the well so a spare can be carried at all times...

Dave

Well there is one listed on the parts catalogue, doesnt give me any description of where it fits etc, it is £72 without a tyre. Just an ordinary space saver wheel 15 x 4T

Kingo :thumbsup:

I'd also check with the AA as to what their policy is with regards not having a spare wheel/tyre. I suspect with more manufacturers supplying this useless "gunge" they could be o.k. But the question always used to be asked, if you were 'phoning them with a puncture, is there a servicable spare?

I know it limits choice but I would never buy a car without either a full size spare or a "space saver".

Ignore the above! It looks like they've kept up by stating that it could be alright as long as there is no spare supplied with the manufacturers' standard specification.

"d. Failure to carry a serviceable spare

Any additional charges resulting from Your failure to carry a legal and serviceable spare wheel or tyre, except where this is not provided as manufacturers’ standard equipment. The AA will endeavour to arrange on your behalf, but will not pay for, assistance from a third party;"

I had NEXEN tyres on my Peugeot. They never wore out. 45,000 miles and they looked as new. Very impressed

David

Dave

Well there is one listed on the parts catalogue, doesnt give me any description of where it fits etc, it is £72 without a tyre. Just an ordinary space saver wheel 15 x 4T

Kingo :thumbsup:

Can you give me the part number please Kingo, I will try and buy one here in PT - Thanks Chez

Also info on the required tyre size for an IQ space saver wheel would be very helpful. I expect they would be a special order and not readily available at the usual suspect places?

John