Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Underseat Sub

Aygocraig

Hi all.

Just curious if you could wire up an underseat sub with built in amp to the standard head unit? I want it looking as standard as possible. But I'm aware it may not handle it. I have an Aygo fire so Speakers are slightly different to older models. Any advise would be good. I don't want the most crazy sound system ever, just something with a bit off bass.

Hi all.

Just curious if you could wire up an underseat sub with built in amp to the standard head unit? I want it looking as standard as possible. But I'm aware it may not handle it. I have an Aygo fire so speakers are slightly different to older models. Any advise would be good. I don't want the most crazy sound system ever, just something with a bit off bass.

Of course. Just make sure the sub you get can be driven off the speaker feeds and not only from an 'audio' output which the stock head unit probably won't have. All (ha ha!) the sub needs is those speaker feeds, which it uses as a bass signal, and power and ground connections. Simple in theory, but physically mounting the unit, running the wires to it and making the required connections into the existing car wiring are of course the stuff of nightmares. This thread shows how I made some of the connections:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=134242&hl=

Im sure Toyota made a pretty good Under seat sub for the aygo that was plug and play with standard head unit. I saw it in the extras cataloge when i bought my aygo.

Im sure Toyota made a pretty good Under seat sub for the aygo that was plug and play with standard head unit. I saw it in the extras cataloge when i bought my aygo.

Yes, the instructions are available as a pdf. As it gets its power from the existing radio head unit (where it plugs and plays into via an interface cable) I don't know how much power/bass it delivers. You still have to tear half the front of the passenger compartment apart to install it and for the same price you can get (eg.) a substantial Pioneer unit that also has a remote control for volume and cut-off (the Toyota one has presets on the side of the unit - handy when it's buried under your seat!).

There's not as much in it as you'd think for installation (just getting the plugs out of the seat safety systems stuff under the driver's seat so you can remove it is quite challenging), so if difficulty of installing the Toyota unit is 10, then I'd say the Pioneer is probably 12. Of course, if you pay someone to do it for you ....

The sub from Toyota is WAY too pricey for what it does.

You can get a better sounding one from Piooneer, Alpine, Kenwood and the likes for about half the money...

I can get one of the Underseat Toyota subs for a good price as I get a good discount, does anyone have one fitted ? whats it like ? will it fit my toyota aygo platinum 2009 ? Im struggling to find out if its compatible with my standard stereo. and is it easy to fit, or a job for Toyota ?

thanks

Stu