Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant Expansion Tank Grommet

Len7

Hi, on my 2007 2.2 the coolant expansion tank has a short piece of plastic tube by the cap so that excess coolant can safely leave the tank if it is over filled.

This is open ended and does not have any cover which seems fine.

However, I have seen the series 2 expansion tank and this does have a small rubber grommet or end cover. Presumably the idea being that it would be forced off if necessary by pressure and in the meantime protects the tank from dust etc.

So I am now wondering if my series 3 rav should also have a rubber grommet cover.

Would appreciate advice on this please

Thanks again for a great site and congatulations to all those with new Ravs - there seem to be quite a few recently!

as to mine -- i ve installed normal an oil resist rubber hose around 30 cm just to be sure coolant can be safely drainedbut not on electrical parts.

The new RAVs don't come with any rubber hose so somebody has added that. You can take it off or just leave there like Igor has to divert it. Be sure to keep an eye on the coolant level if it has never had a new engine though.

The new RAVs don't come with any rubber hose so somebody has added that. You can take it off or just leave there like Igor has to divert it. Be sure to keep an eye on the coolant level if it has never had a new engine though.

Penny pinching??

Nope.

If they pipe it down on a vehicle with an undershield you wouldn't see it if it leaked.

Many thanks for your replies much appreciated.

I am definitely keeping an eye on the coolant level!

Have just done a trip to France /Spanish border and back and car as steady and comfortable as ever.

Reasonably fast run back 3 up plus luggage etc through centre of France which incolves some quite serious mountain autoroutes!

Now done 62k so keeping a good eye on oil also but no change on level when we got back

Thanks again