Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Swap ?

Mar4ix

I have a question here.

Would engine 1.6 (4a-fe) fit in to car with engine 1.8 (7a-fe) mk1 avensis.

thanks

i do not think so

the more power the more geometrical dimensiobs of the engine and its legs respectively leading to have other mounting holes on the legs.

regards / Igor

i do not think so

the more power the more geometrical dimensiobs of the engine and its legs respectively leading to have other mounting holes on the legs.

regards / Igor

well.. i never thought about that... as far as i know, there is difference only engine block few mm taller, as conrods are sligltly taler, engine head dimensions are same.

Wonder is anyone did such conversion.... propably it is very unusual go from bigger engine to smaller, .. usually people do conversion from smaller to bigger engine ....

I am just doing research at the moment, as road tax for 1.6 engine here in Ireland is cheaper for around 120 euro a year than 1.8 engine, and fuel wise might could be cheaper, as i am driving only short distances, engine cant properly warm up.

Engines these days cost nearly to nothing, and work i am planing do myself. i have some experiance with other cars , but just replace engines, not a conversions.

So anyone had done conversion ? (even from 1.6 to 1.8... ) , is wiring /ecu/ engine bushes/ exhaust /gearbox same ?

dont forget i am looking to change 7a fe (lean burn) to 4a fe.

Thanks

Thanks.

Here in Norway the early mk1 Avensis was sold with the 4a-fe engine, so I can see no reason that it should not fit. What parts would be necessary to replace the engine, I have no idea of. Be warned that the 4a-fe has less torque than a 7a-fe, so the car will be slower and need more frequent gear changes to keep up with traffic. I drove one of these a couple of weeks ago, and decided not to buy it because I thougth it was too sluggish. I think I'll try to find a newer mk1 Avensis with a 3zz-fe (1.6 vvti) engine, and see if they are less sluggish. Here are a couple of the cars with 4a-fe engines for sale in Norway at the moment with photos showing the engine: http://www.finn.no/finn/car/used/viewimage?finnkode=37355846 http://www.finn.no/finn/car/used/viewimage?finnkode=37701717

Here in Norway the early mk1 Avensis was sold with the 4a-fe engine, so I can see no reason that it should not fit. What parts would be necessary to replace the engine, I have no idea of. Be warned that the 4a-fe has less torque than a 7a-fe, so the car will be slower and need more frequent gear changes to keep up with traffic. I drove one of these a couple of weeks ago, and decided not to buy it because I thougth it was too sluggish. I think I'll try to find a newer mk1 Avensis with a 3zz-fe (1.6 vvti) engine, and see if they are less sluggish. Here are a couple of the cars with 4a-fe engines for sale in Norway at the moment with photos showing the engine: http://www.finn.no/f...nnkode=37355846 http://www.finn.no/f...nnkode=37701717

Hi thanks for your replay.

Actually i am not interested how powerfull car is or will be, as i am driving short distance every day.. max 5 min . I am at the moment just researching , is it possible do swap, is it stright swap, or there is many thing to change along that swap. , does it goin make a lot hassle, or leave it as it is.

Not sure yet, but previous owner neglect service this car, so i think there isome issues with engine, including oil burning .... i know, it could be stem seals or oil rings, any way engine out work, + clutch on the way out.

Car itself is in good condition. planing keep it for long time... well at least another 3 to 5 years, deppend of income. if it will be ok, ill keep even longer.

there is some pictures of my cars engine bay.

DSC00521_zps6037efe7.jpg

DSC00522_zps5375b42c.jpg

DSC00523_zpsc2114b09.jpg

DSC00524_zpsc8b78fe9.jpg

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

i dont know, where from that dirt build up , well i got that car 5 months ago, it was already like that, some how too much black build up residues on engine, cant really find anything leaking.... previous owner probably never cleaned engine bay (well all the rest car also :/ ) .

Clutch is squeaky ... some time hard to shift in to gear, some people said, could be one spring out . i did reassemble,cleaned, greased gear links, ...bleeded clutch line, got it a bit better, but somehow i am still not happy with gear changing. .... i've got brand new clutch - excedy , now waiting until old will die, actually i was speeding up on steep hill, good load on transmission, I quickly pressed and released clutch, it did slip for 2 -3 sec, until got grip, not sure, is it really on the way out, or there is problems with gearbox ...

Regarding engine swap, havent got any info, would 1.6 fit instead 1.8 :/