Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dashboard Deterioration Issue

jaz9090

Hi,

I have just bought a second hand Auris and will be picking it up on Saturday. It has a couple of bumps which are being sorted in the bodyshop before I pick it up, but I also noticed apart from the usual wear and tear some deteriation on the dashboard where it looks like suinglasses have been kept. It seems that the area with the bumpy surface that is set in on the top has got damaged by the sun and the glasses sitting there somehow. It is not a big thing but a bit annoying, looks a bit weird and inconsistant as though something has been spilt on it (although it doesn't look on closer inspection like it has). Any thoughts on how I could restore it/make it more uniform?

Thanks

James

If it was prescription sunglasses, or spectacles kept on the dashboard, it could be the effect of the sun through the prescription lenses softening or melting the dashboard surface slightly. Could the area be covered by one of these cut to fit grippa type mats.

Without actually seeing this, then its impossible to say for sure but what you can try is this...

The "crackle" finish of the plastic is prone to showing any marks, even marks to the point where you would swear they were scratches. I find a clean (as in new) microfibre cloth soaked in hot (as hot as your hand can stand) plain water with perhaps one drop of detergent per 0.5 litre removes all trace of marks. Wring the cloth so its not wet and give the plastic a good rub. Wring the cloth almost dry to finish.

The plastic on the dash is a poor quality as is most others in the cabin, Very easily marked.cheap and nasty.

But understaned on later models there is better quality material used. which is no help to me and others.