Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winter Is Around The Corner!

There was a frost at the weekend which reminded me to get my winter bag out and make sure the stuff was serviceable and the de-icer can was pretty much full etc. the only problem was my frost protector for the windscreen has finally fallen apart (it is almost as old as Kev as my grandfather gave it to me after he stopped driving :-) )

Has anyone found a good frost protector for the Rav windscreen as it seems a bit of an odd size, not car and certainly not truck, that they can recommend?

Gus

I've got a selection of nylon car screen covers and they all do the job Gus. They could do with being a teeny bit wider but length is fine...............

Didn't pay much for any of them.

Now what I'd really like is a block heater but they are silly money from Toyota here and the US ones are only 110V.

I've got a selection of nylon car screen covers and they all do the job Gus. They could do with being a teeny bit wider but length is fine...............

Didn't pay much for any of them.

Now what I'd really like is a block heater but they are silly money from Toyota here and the US ones are only 110V.

Have you looked at the Kenlowe pre heater, often used on competition motors. Last time I looked they were about £350 plus VAT. I have no experience of fitting this kit so could not say if it would suit the RAV engine bay.

Should have said the price was for competition unit, the standard unit would be much less.

There's two types of Kenlowe heater John. I believe the competition versions are 'off car' units connected temporarily to get the engine up to working temperature prior to racing.

The other 'domestic' versions are plumbed in permanently to the water system and hook up to the mains.

The Toyota block heater is a small tubular heating element that is fitted into the block and also runs from the mains via a hook up lead.

In the US/Canada they are about $70 - $90. Kingo would be able to give a price for the 240V version but I think it is something in the region of £250 - £350 :unsure:

There's two types of Kenlowe heater John. I believe the competition versions are 'off car' units connected temporarily to get the engine up to working temperature prior to racing.

The other 'domestic' versions are plumbed in permanently to the water system and hook up to the mains.

The Toyota block heater is a small tubular heating element that is fitted into the block and also runs from the mains via a hook up lead.

In the US/Canada they are about $70 - $90. Kingo would be able to give a price for the 240V version but I think it is something in the region of £250 - £350 :unsure:

Dear Link King,

What in the Game of Nod is a "block heater....?" Link please...

Big Lostit.

defa.jpg

shcm driving about with one of his few fans.....?

Never mind the heater, look how wondefully Clean, the back of Andy,s Rav is!!!!!!!! Not a speck of dust.

Regards Clare

Bacon butty wrappers down the side of the seat Clare. He's managed to keep his sweeties off the seat cushion though...............

..........wait for it...........

Never mind the heater, look how wondefully Clean, the back of Andy,s Rav is!!!!!!!! Not a speck of dust.

Regards Clare

Clare....I have seen it in the flesh....rents it out to BUPA for open heart surgery. If he ever runs over any large wildlife, we could rename him Dr. Killdeer.....? First car I have ever seen with full set of Toyota rubber mats, so now know why ££££

Big Kev

I think the block heater you're describing is also known as a heat plug - like a tiny kettle element that goes in place of a core plug. No idea how good they are but they can't be that bad if they use it in countries like Canada where the winters get stupidly cold.

Kenlowes come up on the bay of e sometimes, they're never cheap though. Also look for Webastos, the ones that run on diesel. Ditto Eisbrecher.

Webastos are fitted to some UK Freelanders and, apparently, come off with out any jacking...

I once fitted a sump heater onto one of my Pugs (it gets pretty cold here too), I can't say I noticed any improvement in warm up times with it though.

shcm driving about with one of his few fans.....?

I find it and the associated timer great and I wouldn't be without it now. Covers are OK, but unless you've got a heated screen, there's still those few minutes when it can have a tendency to re-freeze. I don't like waiting with an idling cold engine.

Still need the cover though, if you are away from a lecky point.

Yeah, you have to take your shoes off before you get in my RAV. :rolleyes: I've unfortuately also been called a "rocket scientist" at times (what is it with this rocket science? Isn't it just slightly advanced plumbing? :unsure:), so I can end up feeling like 2 verses of an ancient Shania Twain ditty. (I'm certainly not claiming the "Brad Pitt" verse :lol:).

Actually, Anchs is the Brad Pitt looker and you could also consider him a rocket scientist, so I reckon all three versus in his case :lol:

It don't impress me much.

Bacon butty wrappers down the side of the seat Clare.

I thought you'd spot that one! :rolleyes:

He's managed to keep his sweeties off the seat cushion though...............

..........wait for it...........

So are you going to tell them or am I?

"Forgive me father, for I have sined........."

I'm still surprised I didn't get thrown out onto a crowded Mancunian motorway, but in my defence I'm claiming "defective confectionary production"

First car I have ever seen with full set of Toyota rubber mats

I like rubber! :yes::naughty:

Back on topic, Gus I've got a plastic/silvered screen cover I've had for years. I know what you mean, it doesn't quite cover the screen top and bottom, but makes a reasonable go at it. Can't remember where it came from though, sorry!

Kingo = Pie n Chips scientest, can spot a good un from miles away and can remember the technical pie details for years.........

King Pie :thumbsup:

Apology accepted Gus.......Can I have a Badge or such like? TOC resident pie tester in chief, sounds good to me :D:

I think the block heater you're describing is also known as a heat plug - like a tiny kettle element that goes in place of a core plug. No idea how good they are but they can't be that bad if they use it in countries like Canada where the winters get stupidly cold.

Kenlowes come up on the bay of e sometimes, they're never cheap though. Also look for Webastos, the ones that run on diesel. Ditto Eisbrecher.

Webastos are fitted to some UK Freelanders and, apparently, come off with out any jacking...

I once fitted a sump heater onto one of my Pugs (it gets pretty cold here too), I can't say I noticed any improvement in warm up times with it though.

Yup, looked into all of those Frank. Can't really justify the cost at circa £300 but I'd be happy to pay the US/Canada rate.

It has just occurred to me that I have a 110V transformer sitting in my garage.

Wish I'd thought of that whilst in Canada recently. Bu66er...................

Also look for Webastos, the ones that run on diesel.

Got one in my Disco.

Fuel burn heater which sups diesel and heats up the coolant to get the car up to temperature quicker. It's got a wee exhaust box under the bonnet. I didn't know I had one and it scared the hell out of me when it first came on as smoke started coming out from under the bonnet.

You can also set them on a timer so that the car gets warm for you when you leave the house; or you can activate them by remote control.

I reckon I could get about 75 to 100 screen protectors for the sump heater, mind you I now know what a company called kenlowe on the outskirts of Maidenhead do that I pass most days :-)

If I find a good fit and something that looks reasonably durable I will update this thread.

On a slightly different note apparently Lidl are getting their renown screenwash in soon, so keep your eyes peeled as it is excellent stuff if it gets a wee bit chilly as I can vouch from last year when most others had frozen bottles and non working washers, mind you would still like heated jets....

Gus

How much diesel does it use Marsky?

Not sure, it's hard to measure what the heater consumes because it's used at start-up and then you're away.

I don't think it's too bad though.

See the link for the Disco 3 (Disco 4 is more-or-less the same): http://www.disco3.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Fuel_Burning_Heater

I reckon I could get about 75 to 100 screen protectors for the sump heater, mind you I now know what a company called kenlowe on the outskirts of Maidenhead do that I pass most days :-)

If I find a good fit and something that looks reasonably durable I will update this thread.

On a slightly different note apparently Lidl are getting their renown screenwash in soon, so keep your eyes peeled as it is excellent stuff if it gets a wee bit chilly as I can vouch from last year when most others had frozen bottles and non working washers, mind you would still like heated jets....

Gus

Have a look at this firm Gus, http://www.coverscars.co.uk/ , their outdoor top cover keeps all the windows clear. Haven't used them for the RAV but on a Carlton their cover was a good fit and long lasting (5 winters permanently parked in open, though cover only fitted when frost/snow expected).

John