Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Plug-In Ev Mode Distance

Bramwell

Hi, My new Plug-in should be registering 15+ miles on a full charge but so far after 20 or so charges has not exceeded 11.5 miles on the display. Any ideas why this might be

Thanks,

Paul.

There are a whole host of reasons, mainly to do with ambient temperatures and cooler days. Just like the hybrid system, to work to its most efficient, it works best in the summer. Some drivers will also fair better because of their driving style, whilst others might be heavier footed

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks Kingo. I had a feeling this was the case but was suprised that with an ambient temp of 12c (not overly cold) and a very careful driving style it is losing 20% of it's range.

Paul

My Plug In (took delivery of July) has never shown more than 13.3 miles Battery range. The publicised 15.5 miles appears to be a myth.

Since July the range indication has been dropping gradually and currently (with outdoor temperature first trip of the day at 10 deg C) is typically indicating 11.1 miles after a full charge. Factors affecting the range include greater use of windscreen demister - instant reduction in indicated range of about 1 mile when the windscreen demister is switched on and gradually reducing outdoor temperatures.

PS. My location is Walsall (not Staffordshire as indicated on left - no option for Walsall or West Midlands on signing up / joining, so I chose Staffordshire as Walsall was in Staffordshire until 1974).

Interesting...how does the plug-in heat up without an engine running? what happens when it starts getting REALLY cold, wouldn't the engine have to run to heat the cabin up?

Interesting...how does the plug-in heat up without an engine running? what happens when it starts getting REALLY cold, wouldn't the engine have to run to heat the cabin up?

Thats a very good point... I guess that somebody at Toyota must have thought of that.I am curious too. Do plug ins have electrical heating?

I don't have one, but my understanding of that range indicator isn't actually how many miles you WILL travel, but how many you will travel if nothing changes, as it were. But as you drive and everything warms up, things DO change. So you may in fact start with an indicated 11 miles, but actually get much nearer the 15 when you actually drive it.

Or have I got that wrong? What mileages do you actually get, as compared with what it predicts?

The range is only an estimate. There are a lot of posts on Prius chat on the subject. I think the 15.5 includes the Battery power when it reverts to the usual hv mode once the warm up is complete. Maximum range on mine has been 13.6 but is 12.1 at the moment but I am getting almost 15.

I last filled up on 3/9/2012 and still have over half a tank of petrol having done 700 miles. My daily commute is 8 miles each way with no possibility of a recharge in between with the odd longer trip at weekends

Sounds fantastic Rob, my commute is the same as yours, 8 miles each way, would love to try out the plugin!

However there's one thing I didn't get though was why not have the ability to heat the engine (possibly on a timer or similar) while charging, similar to engine block heaters/pre-heaters that you see overseas. That way you could get in to a warm car, and the engine wouldn't waste fuel getting warmed up.

However there's one thing I didn't get though was why not have the ability to heat the engine (possibly on a timer or similar) while charging, similar to engine block heaters/pre-heaters that you see overseas. That way you could get in to a warm car, and the engine wouldn't waste fuel getting warmed up.

Don't know if it's on the EU spec but the Prius (and presumably Auris/Yaris) have this;

Those crazy Japanese

Leave it to the engineers at Toyota to implement the most unique, clever and complicated method of pre-heating an engine.

blockheater-prius-s.jpg Toyota Prius' 3 liter capacity coolant 'thermos' aids cold starts. (Collision damaged car shown under repair - source.)

In the latest generation (2004+) Prius, hot coolant is pumped from the cooling system into a 3 liter insulated thermos-style reservoir at shutdown, where it apparently stays hot overnight, and warm up to 3 days later.

When switching the car back "ON", the hot (or warm) coolant is pumped from the thermos/reservoir back up to the engine's head where it contributes to quicker warming for better management of combustion to reduce emissions.

I doubt it's as effective as a plug-in block heater - but then again, it's not strictly meant to replace one. (It works year round to ensure warmer starts in all temperatures.) Would be nice to have a Prius to try it out though.

http://www.metrompg.com/posts/block-heater.htm

I had heard of the thermos-coolant heater but pretty sure they don't install it over here. Maybe one day...!

700 miles on half a tank!? That's phenomenal!! :eek::thumbsup:

I can just about do that on a full tank if I'm driving almost all motorways!

I last filled up on 3/9/2012 and still have over half a tank of petrol having done 700 miles. My daily commute is 8 miles each way with no possibility of a recharge in between with the odd longer trip at weekends

Are you metering the electricity used?

I had heard of the thermos-coolant heater but pretty sure they don't install it over here. Maybe one day...!

Correct, that was a Gen 2 technology and it was not available on the UK spec Prius, and neither were electrically heated door mirrors. I mention the mirrors because I read somewhere that these two items were part of a winter option installed at the factory.

IIRC Toyota replaced the function of that thermos technology on the Gen 3 with a heat exchange system reclaiming waste heat from the exhaust system. I can't recall what improvement either system was claimed to give but it was a very small improvement.

On my Gen 3 I'm pretty sure I've got heated door mirrors, they come on when I select the button for the heated rear windscreen. So some things have got better I guess.

Looking over the pond at Prius Chat, I've seen that a plug (designed by Toyota I think) to install a block heater is available, but the voltage isn't set up for 240v, which has always put me off.

Are you metering the electricity used?

Not as such but I have calculated the costs. I do however try to charge at night using economy7 when it costs me 2p per mile as opposed to 10p per mile (calculated at £1.359 per litre as was the price when I last filled up) using petrol.

Incidently I now have done 820 miles and the fuel guage is still one pip over half.