Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diesel Fuel Band

jabalczar

This has probably been debated over before, but...

I was using supermarket / cheap diesel. The injectors were noisy between 1500 - 2500 rpm, and the car not as responsive.

I didn't think anything of it. Then, when the fuel light had been on for 20 miles, so the tank was fairly empty, I filled up with BP Ultimate Diesel (the more expensive one). The difference was noticeable.

The car does not clatter on acceleration, it is quieter overall, especially at idle and low revs. The car is more responsive. And I'm getting perhaps 3 - 4 mpg more.

Hi jabalczar,....I have a 2007 2.0d4d avensis, and I had the exact same scenario as yourself, so I started to do do some research on supermarket fuel as opposed to branded fuel like Shell, bp, etc,...(this was about 18 months ago), and the most interesting article was http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878.html about adding 2-stroke oil every time you fill up.

I no longer use supermarket fuel, and allways put 250ml of 2t oil everytime I fill up, we've only last week come back from a trip to spain in it, and it ran like a dream.

Interesting idea, though I feel a bit nervous at experimenting with 2 stroke oil, especially as my car is still under warranty. The other thing I would be worried about is how the ECU would handle the fuel. I remember reading that Toyota did an ECU software update to the Avensis (when taken in for a service) so that the fuel system would handle British / European diesel better. If this was the case, and then I altered the diesel with 2 stroke oil, I'd be worried long term how the ECU / Engine would deal with it.

Remember if you're gonna use 2T oil in the fuel then use the low ash ones which are mineral and not semi or full synth types. 2T oil burns better than diesel and the car will not need to be altered for it to run on the juice. You'll find it'll run as sweet as a nut and you'll be lubing the pump to boot...

Give Shell V-Power diesel a try, its an excellent premium fuel and cheaper than BP :clap: