Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Tourer - Bike Carrying Options - Help Needed

Damiank1974

Hi all, first post.

I recently purchased an 11 plate Avensis Tourer, so far I'm very happy. I did a bit of googling this weekend to find out options for carrying bikes on the car. My first thought was one of those carriers that simply straps to the "boot" lid, as they're cheapest and simplest. One website indicated this wasn't possible with the Avensis Tourer, due to the structure and design of the tailgate.

So, I went to Toyota to discuss. The confirmed they didn't make boot fitting bike racks for the Avensis. My options were: roof racks, or a towbar fitting rack. The roof racks would cost £300 without labour, then (I've read) up to 30% more fuel when driving with bikes on it. To fit a tow bar I was quoted around £650. Frankly, given the expense of either option, I'm better off driving wherever I'm going, then hiring bikes there.

My questions are: does anyone know if there are boot lid bike carriers which can be used with the Avensis Tourer? Does anyone use such a thing him/herself?

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments which may help to bring the cost of putting my bikes on the car to a price actually below that of buying the bikes in the first place!!

Damian

Hi,

I use the Roof Rack option. It does take a little time to initially fix everything on and when you first load them on you may find it's not the easiest - but after a little practice you soon get the hand.

As for fuel consumption, it does get hammered - although when bikes are on usually car is fully loaded - and I mean fully loaded - returns early 30's mpg :-(

All seems negative, but I would actually recommend. They're very secure, in actual fact when on the Motorway you need to remember they're on the roof. It also means you still have access to the boot, very useful.

You need the roof bars, a foot pack (as Tourer doesn't have roof rails) and a fixing kit. Current price on Halfords is £140 for the square bars option, or £185 for the Wing bars options - these are more aerodynamic and do look somewhat better. Shop around, pretty certain you'll get lower prices.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/VehicleProductGuidedSalesCmd?action=getProducts&storeId=10001&categoryId=165618&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&findPartsVRN=true&vrn=fe10uyr

The Toyota one's are actually Thule one's, simply with Toyota branding.

You then need the actual carriers:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_253917_langId_-1_categoryId_165477

Have a search on eBay. There was a guy who sold them brand new for about £25 - £30.

So not cheap, but an investment I guess. I wanted towbar option but worked out too expensive.

Hope this helps.

Thanks...

I do think I'll be giving it a miss though. The expense against the amount of times we'd actually use them just doesn't balance.

I use an ALDI tailgate fit carriers for my road bike - but it moves around a lot on the cushioning. SO I now take the wheels off my bike and put it on top of everything in the boot. This all fits in easy on our way down to SW France each summer. I do find though it has to go on top of the boot cover coming back loaded woith wine etc. Much more convenient overall. I just wrap the frame up in a tarpaulin. After removing pedals and tying the bars to the crossbar it is really quite compact. wheel just lay flat on top. This is carbon framed "racing" style bike though, only weighs 9kg!

• 4 years later...

All,

How are things? Just joined as new member. Same question as above, Has technology moved along yet???? ahappychappie fair play good research. I feel Halfords are very good but there is too many choices, do you want this do you want that? etc etc. At the end of the day I just want to carry the !Removed! bikes from A to B!!!

Anyway, if anyone had inspiration since 2012, fair play, if not I will run with the roof bars.