Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica Vvtli-T Pros & Cons Versus Celica Gt 1991

AZ_Supra_Girl

Anyone that owns a VVTLI-T, I need help as I am thinking of buying one but I don't know if it will be as good as my 1991 GT.

I recently drove 2 VVTLI-T's but cannot decide whether to keep my old GT and spend loads of money on it or buy a less mileage VVTLI-T. Both seemed nice but I had serious trouble shifting gears and I don't know if that is because my gearbox and stick are different or if it's a known fault with this model.

I have owned most models from Celica 1977- 1987 XT, lots of 1989 GT's and 1990 GT-S and a few Surpa's too and out of all the Celica's I have owned I think the best are still the old 1985's (22RE Engine) & 1991's. Several have had gear shift issues when freezing especially, even with gear oil changes! Also gear shifting in older models tends to get stiff in 1st gear.

The other things I don't like about the VVTLI-T compared to my 1991 GT are the high gear lever and lack of room in drivers seat, the dash and airbags take up all the space. The seats are not as comfortable as the old celica's and there is no head rest to adjust.

On the plus side it seems pretty fast on take off and stears well (but does not glide like the GT). The air con and sunroof are a plus also. BUT is it really better than an old GT?

I hear there are issues with VVTLI's alloy wheels going rusty and also boot struts not working well, aswell as stone chips on front of hood. Also I hear that some 140 engines have oil issues but don't know what these are exactly.

Does anyone know of any real engine issues with this VVTLI-T 2001? QUICK REPLIES APPRECIATED.

What exactly is a VVTLI-T?, do you mean a VVTi-L?.

The main issue with the VVTi-L Engine as fitted to the 190 and T Sport in the pre face lift, is wear to the Flange Bolts (also known as Lift Bolts). They eventually snap, and can on rare occasions drop into the Engine internals. The good news is that they are very cheap to buy, and easy to fit as long as you replace them in time.

Although the VVTi-L doesn't burn oil like the VVTi, it's still important to check the dipstick regularly, especially if you visit "lift" often.

Your mention a Sunroof in your first post. These are standard on the 190, but the vast majority of T Sports don't have one, as they were an optional extra. So if you see a T Sport advertised with a Sunroof, check carefully to make sure it isn't a 190, many times have I seen a new owner disappointed when he/she discovers the car has been mis-sold to them.

Another common problem with the T Sport, is buckled Rims, although many have had the 17" eight spoke Fondmetal Rims replaced with an after market type.

If you definitely want the VVTi-L Engine, I'd recommend you look for a face lift T Sport, as the prices are so close now. These were introduced in the Autumn of 2002, exactly the same time as the 190 was dropped from the range.

HTH.

Thanks for the info, very helpful. I spoke to Toyota dealer today who said he had never changed flange bolts on these and didn't think it was an issue, but did say it costs 400-500 £'s to change them. He mentioned the engibe warning light would tell you if they are about to go, but you would notice them too.

Sorry, but the person you spoke to was talking absolute rubbish. The first sign that the Flange/Lift Bolts are worn, is that the car would not engage "lift" when reaching 6200 revs. They cost around £1 each, and as I mentioned, are easy to change unless they have snapped.