Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5efe-$efte Swap, I'm Goin In...

Robertbbb

Hello all,

I am about to make the call to order the 4E-FTE for my US model 92 Seo.

A few questions come to mind before I start:

What mods will I need to make for the conversion?

Should I order a special clutch pack or get the stock 5EFE clutch?

How do I go about getting the specs and needed parts list for this motor? This engine was never on a US model car...

Any wagers on how fast a 41 year old !Removed! can solo change this motor from start to finish? (I was a japanese journeyman mechanic 9 years ago before a bad injury)

Anyone have any comments about this swap before I make the call?

Thanks all!

I did the 4E-FTE engine swap on my Sera. It had the 5E-FHE which to all extents and purposes is the same as the 5E-FE.

The biggest problem you may have is the wiring. Starlet turbos with manual boxes have a 2 pin ECU, a 26 pin plug and a 16pin plug. Automatic Starlets have a 3 pin plug. All the Seras I've come across has the two pin plug.

All I had to do was to run two extra wires to the ECU and a little underbonnet wiring because the air temp sensor is mounted in a different place as as the exhaust temperature sensor.

The wiring took about 2 hours to do.

If your ECU is a 3 plug ECU then you'll have some rewiring to do :joy:

Most of the loom was plug and play, although a few sensors had different plugs, so I used the plug from the donor car and wired it in. Quite simple really.

Swapping the engine over should be easy.

Intercooler may require some thought. On the Sera there is little room to relocate the i/c to the front bumper which is where is most effective, so I retained the standard top mount position. There is very little room below the Seras hood, which I had to fit a vent to. I ended up grafting in 3/4s of the Starlet bonnet to give me a little extra height plus the vent. I could have removed the air con, but the Sera has such a large glass area that a/c is essential in the summer.

I don't know how much room there is on a 'seo to relocate the I/C to the front bumper, certainly butchering a front bumper is easier than the hood.

I used:

Starlet engine, gearbox, driveshafts, exhaust manifold, downpipe and centre section (cut and sleeved to mate with standard Sera exhaust)

Sera fuel pump is same as Starlet Turbo. I think the Paseo may need the higher capacity version.

Starlet clutch & gearbox,

Starlet bulk head sensors (one was different)

Starlet ECU

Time scale: Excluding bodywork - ie hood vent or bumper vent, 15 - 20 hours. Less if you get the engine out of a car. I bought a complete car so had to strip parts out myself.

I think thats it...

Finally. Was it worth it. Yes. Its the engine that should have been in there as standard all along.

Thanks for the heads up!

I forgot to mention the Engine and ECU are coming together, hopefully it isn't going to be a headache.

there is a company in america called back yard productions

byp

they do this engine conversion so your best bet would be to speak to them if you come across any other problems..

andrews covered everything so it should be straight forward.

hope this helps :ph34r:

Are you getting the 4E-FTE flywheel? I know the 5E flywheel won't fit the 4E engine (different bolting pattern)

I would use a 4E-FTE clutch, Exceedy do an uprated one as well - depends what your future plans for the car involve.

Ok a big concern I have now about this project is the ECU.

BYP wants to charge 450.00 to make a wiring harness, I feel that is a bit rediculous. Anyone have a diagram on what is required to make this fly? I really don't want to ***** the wife too much more with creeping expenses.

Thanks!

Great info thank you, now I need to decern what I need from each harness to make the ECU work...

Cheers!

$ 450 :o

That does seem steep.

$ 450 :o

That does seem steep.

It's worth it. My shop wouldn't have even installed my 4E without that plug&play harness.

By the way, Sera covered most of it.

Yes, you will be able to put a FMIC on your 'seo. You can checkout www.paseopimp.com for alittle bit more information. They have some turbo'd 'seo's on there.

On a second note, I ordered my 4E-FTE from B.Y.P., and I got the transmission and clutch with it.

Sear was right too, it is worth it and should have been in a Tercel GT model. :thumbsup: