Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol From Different Suppliers - Asda Petrol Affected My Car.

Konrad C

Nearly a month ago, I filled up with Asda petrol from the Charlton branch. I filled up from a quarter of a tank and it was the cheapest. I was passing that way so I did not just go there for the price.

A few days later the car had a slightly lively performance, which meant I could feather the accelerator and the car would respond instantly. If the car was at low rpm for a given gear it would pick up.

Then as the old petrol was burnt off and the Asda stuff came through, the throttle became more jerky.

I would be driving along and when want to accelerate the car would ***** until I really press the throttle. This smoothed the jerks out, so I had to adapt to this style of driving. On Sunday I filled up with 51 litres of Shell fuel and slowly the car is returning back to it's old self and the jerks have nearly disappeared. I usually use Shell or Morrison's fuel.

Has anybody had this issue with different suppliers fuel.

I put in the cheapest and haven't noticed any adverse effects - I often use Asda at Milton Keynes and Kettering but Morrisons and others are just as cheap so I definitely don't have a favourite.

I'm a bit confused about the timings, wouldn't the new fuel mix with the old stuff almost straightaway to make some sort of concoction? I wouldn't expect the car to use the old stuff then move on to the suspect fuel from Asda :g:

Mike

I have had 2 instances where supermarket diesel have caused me problems, although some folk haven’t had an issue with it. I try to use Shell V Power. :driving:

I put in the cheapest and haven't noticed any adverse effects - I often use Asda at Milton Keynes and Kettering but Morrisons and others are just as cheap so I definitely don't have a favourite.

I'm a bit confused about the timings, wouldn't the new fuel mix with the old stuff almost straightaway to make some sort of concoction? I wouldn't expect the car to use the old stuff then move on to the suspect fuel from Asda :g:

Mike

Yes you are correct, but I filled up with just over 50 litres of Asda petrol. That means that nearly all the petrol was Asda. I had to compensate for the jerkiness until I was down to the last quarter of a tank. Then I filled up with 50 litres of Shell. Again the fuel mixed like you said and the change was noticeable - the car was smoother with less of a *****.

I think another tank of fuel should clear the Asda fuel from the system.

Right now the car only occasionally jerks on some throttle inputs, but it is now rare.

Most cars should cope with that batch of petrol, but there could be cars with the same issues. Don't forget that some owners do not care if there is a problem and choose to ignore it. If the fuel cause the EML light to come on, and the engine ran roughly or even stopped running, then it would become news worthy to the general public - like the dodgy batches of petrol we had 5 years ago.

Lets see if other owners have had issues with fuel.

In 6 months of ownership have never used the premium type fuels and usually fill up at any of the major supermarket sites. Engine has not missed a beat so far.

One tank of fuel from one location is hardly a fair test of all supermarket fuels. There could be lots of reasons why the engine ran rough. Way to test is to use a branded fuel for a while and then go back to the supermarket and try again. May just have been a bad batch or just a coincidence. As has already been stated as you fill up all the fuel would have been mixed and within a Mile down the road you would have been using the mixed fuel.

There are lots of articles that suggest using the premium fuels gives more performance and better mpg than cheap fuels. Only way to prove it on your own car is to try it for a few tank fulls of each.

Diesel fuel is a different issue as better quality diesel seems to give better lubrication and causes less carbon deposits according to the reports.

It could be something as simple as water draining into the fuel storage tanks at ASDA but a mate of mine worked for a Tesco's fuel station and we claimed that the supermarkets diluted their fuel to a degree to still make money while selling it cheaper,

I know they did have problems at times with water seeping into the underground fuel storage tanks so I never used to by my fuel there,still don't !!!

I always use Shell V-Power diesel and petrol in our vehicles, and sure the extra mpg offsets the increased price.

I always use Shell V-Power diesel and petrol in our vehicles, and sure the extra mpg offsets the increased price.

Does it? What sort of increase are you seeing and how can you be sure?

Mike

What sort of increase are you seeing and how can you be sure?

To be honest Mike not a great deal but there again for around only 36p a gallon difference I don`t expect it.

To be honest Mike not a great deal but there again for around only 36p a gallon difference I don`t expect it.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on big extra miles!

Mike

I must say I find V-Power diesel a bit weird; For my normal city driving it's a bit worse on the mpg, but I find for motorway runs it is better! :lol:

I generally throw some in every 3 or 4 tanks. Costs about £3-4 more than a tank of my local Sainsburys on average.

Most times I go for Morrisons, cheapest fuel locally, and never felt the car to be unresponsive or poor pick up at low revs. Then again, I haven't used premium fuel either, since for normal driving never thought it would make any meaningful difference

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on big extra miles!

My answer wasn`t quite right Mike, I do get very good MPG figures but I also add Archoil 6200.

I've just bought 1ltr of the Archoil 6200 love juice! Gotta say that I've noticed a difference to the engine tone. But not to the mpg...

I've just bought 1ltr of the Archoil 6200 love juice! Gotta say that I've noticed a difference to the engine tone. But not to the mpg...

A litre !!!! have ya won the lottery bud ? ;)

Its not cheap but you only use such a minute amount each fill so it works out quite affordable.

I'd personally never buy supermarket fuels after the lambda sensor issue with a certain supermarket petrol a few years back. Supermarkets are for groceries, not petrol or diesel. By the way, accidentally put some Premium diesel in my D4D the other week and although 8p per liter more :-O the consumption improved, less smoke on heavy throttle settings and performance improved

Supermarkets are for groceries, not petrol or diesel.

Isn't that a bit like saying 'Butchers are for meat not supermarkets'.

Yes, that's correct. If you want to compromise on quality, buy everything from the national chains. You pays your money and take your choices.

A litre !!!! have ya won the lottery bud ? ;)

Its not cheap but you only use such a minute amount each fill so it works out quite affordable.

Lol... Now that would be telling mate! I thought I'd get some in so it'll last me for quite some time...

Fast Exocet do some petrol and diesel additive products that have a good reputation

Lol... Now that would be telling mate! I

Good Luck :gora:

What with the poor MPG some diesels are giving, buying top grade fuels and additives not to mention that diesel fuel cost more than petrol in the first place, is owning some diesels worth it.

If I had my time again my mate, I wouldn't buy an oil burner. To many things to go wrong!

In my mind its clear that to make diesel worthwhile you have to be either a high mileage user or a fleet operator. Even then due to the ongoing problems being encountered with DMF's, DPF's and the high pressure fuel systems you wouldn't want to keep one for more than the warranty period. A lot of new generation petrol engines are able to get close to Diesel engines for fuel consumption which makes economy claims a thing of the past. This doesn't bode well for the owners of diesels in the future as the second hand market for these is likely to fall dramatically as people realise their failings.

In my mind its clear that to make diesel worthwhile you have to be either a high mileage user or a fleet operator. Even then due to the ongoing problems being encountered with DMF's, DPF's and the high pressure fuel systems you wouldn't want to keep one for more than the warranty period. A lot of new generation petrol engines are able to get close to Diesel engines for fuel consumption which makes economy claims a thing of the past. This doesn't bode well for the owners of diesels in the future as the second hand market for these is likely to fall dramatically as people realise their failings.

I take on board and agree with a lot you`ve said but it`ll have to be borne in mind that in an effort to `get close to diesel engines fuel consumption` the new generation of petrol engines youve mentioned have also increased their complexity and will have a knock on effect with their own `failings`.