Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Petrol From Different Suppliers - Asda Petrol Affected My Car.

Konrad C

I agree Dave, modern complexity in any engine gives its own problems whether its petrol, diesel or a hybrid. However when you buy a vehicle, especially a used one, with your own money and have to service and repair it also with your own money then you want an overall package that is likely to give a reasonable economy with regard to fuel, servicing, repairs and finally resale value. Sure diesel wins, in the main, with fuel but its losing on the other points which is making it less and less a viable purchase for the average private motorist.

It's the average private motorist that buys all the ex-fleet cars and if they stop buying them it will mean the market for them will die, this means that in turn the fleets will stop buying them because they can't get a decent return on their outlay and then the manufacturers will stop making them because the fleets won't buy them.

In the long term of course there will likely be new technology which might halt this but at the moment the current diesel engined car is fast becoming a money pit for the private buyer.

Having had diesel cars for the last 20 years I must say they have become more refined and are now run by computers. I find if you look after them properly, ie service them at the correct times, drive them correctly as they are not really racing cars, you tend to have very few problems. I also use the cheapest diesel I can get and every 3rd tankfull I use a diesel additive to keep my injection system clean. I use my car mainly around town and every 5 weeks it gets a 500 mile run. Result of this is that at 136,000 miles its still on the same clutch, returns 47mpg around town and at 80mph on the motorway (yes I know I am breaking the law) and one wheel bearing change. I can get much better mpg if I drive a bit slower. I love diesels for the greater torque they produce at lower revs as well and because the engine only runs at low revs compared to a petrol engine they tend to last a bit longer. Just my two bits worth

I also had diesels for 20+ years but they were the earlier indirect injection.no DMF EGR or drive by wire etc. Agree about the torque of diesels that make the engine so flexible.

Which i do miss. But the pluses withe petrol engines is the quietness and smoothness and a big plus how quick a petrol warms up.Very handy in winter to get the screen clear and the cabin comfy in a shorter time than a diesel will.

Ive told lie,forgot about the mondeos i had as well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links