Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replaced Rear Reflectors With Led Brake Lights...

surfcitylocal

My rear reflectors have been removed and replace with red LED brake / tail lights. Mike (atomicmojo) did a great write up on how to convert the stock reflectors with the boil,bake and glue method but I was just too damn lazy. I ordered the lights from eBay for 35.00 and wired them up yesterday.

The lights are a direct replacement for the reflectors on the iQ. They offer the ability to be used as tail lights, brake lights or both. I chose to wire mine up as just brake lights. They are very bright and the install was simple.

DSCN2032.jpg

DSCN2033.jpg

DSCN2035.jpg

DSCN2036.jpg

DSCN2037.jpg

DSCN2038.jpg

DSCN2062.jpg

DSCN2063.jpg

DSCN2065.jpg

In the UK there have to be 2 reflectors to the rear, not lIght lenses.

Reflecting a pair in red to the rear as a warning to vehicles that an unlit vehicle is on the road.

Important in case of a vehicle being stopped in the dark with no rear side lights on, or no single Parking light to the offside illuminated.

http://www.ukmot.com/1-4.asp

So checked at a MOT,

& the possibility of getting Police attention before the vehicle is 3 years old or anytime after.

Unsafe to not have reflectors facing rearward or to keep them clean and reflecting.

Bad weather or unlit roads in town or out of being the case for them..

george

Can I have the Link please Taz. I suppose the question is do they reflect much when they are off?

David

Looking at the photo of the rear without the lights on I can see a healthy reflection from the licence, Sorry, Number plate but nothing from the new lights. My guess is they don't reflect and I too wouldn't be without reflectors in the UK and the MOT does require them as George said above.

Craig.

Mmm maybe i could fit a couple of reflectors discreetly elsewhere. Just experimenting

David

Wonder if there's any rules against having daytime running lights on the rear? Red ones off course but have them on the dim setting when the DRL's are on then come on as additional brake lights too.

Craig.

Mmm is a thought. Have ordered some. Interesting how laws change and no one knows about it. Saw up town rental bicycles in racks They have flashing front and rear LED's. the rules on the road for bicycles last time i saw them said the lights had to be on constantly not flashing!!

David

I think a pair of reflectors in the style of the front DRL's that someone posted that follows the contours on the Bumper and are vertical would work very nicely..

george

I was thinking of reflectors mounted something like this at the rear

and allowing you to fit the lights in the reflector position.

post-104736-0-86691900-1350574732_thumb.

post-104736-0-12844800-1350575081_thumb.

Look nice Taz, like mini afterburners they are. I like the idea of what you've done, and as George says about placing reflectors on those uprights at the back, like a reverse of the front DRL's in the picture above, would suit it very well and if done right -I'm sure David will do that- would look OEM too. By the way, I have no idea what OEM means, but it must be something to do with Original equipment/parts, right?

That's correct Bob, Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Interestingly, I have been looking and other than a nissan which had disk reflectors 99. whatever % of the cars i saw don't have separate reflectors. I am guessing the rear lights are partially reflective. Because the powered LED reflectors look OEM then I don't have issues fitting them .

Taz was going to give them a reflective test for us when he gets a min. Most cars I have seen down my road don't seem to reflect much in my lights. Can always turn them off for MOT man. I think my policy is, if it looks OEM it was on it when i bought it, why would i question it?

David

Taz

How are the original reflectors held on? are they bolted? If so i assume the centre hole was already there and did you cut out the rectangle hole for the cable?

David

Taz

How are the original reflectors held on? are they bolted? If so i assume the centre hole was already there and did you cut out the rectangle hole for the cable?

David

David, they are a direct replacement. The reflector is held on with the stock nut. I did not have to cut anything, the rectangle hole is where the tab on the stock reflector usually sits.

Some cars don't have separate reflectors, but in that case that are built into the rear light cluster.

If you have a 'Daytime only MOT' & no light fitted you do not need reflectors.

But then you are not allowed on the road in the dark or in poor visibility or poor weather.

I just always imagine a vehicle breaking down on a carriageway or at a junction in the dark with no power and no hazards on.

2 little reflectors might never save you, but it might give someone a chance of a warning & a fighting chance of stopping or avoiding you before they wipe you out.

(not a nice thought, but its one i consider with nearest and dearest in my charge.)

Just 2 little refectors are easy to stick on.

Safety over fashion IMO.

george

Mmnn. I went out tonight and parked our Verso down a dingy un lit road and on the other side my iq with the reflectors taped over. Waited a fair while for a couple of cars to go by. Its raining and freezing me being a southerner lol. Anyway could just make out the shapes at a fair distance. Lights of the passing cars in my opinion lit up both cars rear clusters equally obviously indicating a car present. The verso only relies on the rear cluster as did my iQ. So for me the rear clusters on both cars are adequate plus the iQ will have a bit extra reflection. Wonder if the location of the would be reflectors is a set distance as i would have thought that putting reflectors inside the width of the car doesn't exactly help a person judging the width of the vehicle coming out of the dark. Far better to be on the light clusters. And why not on the front as well? People don't always park in the direction of traffic flow. Seems like an old law that needs up dating

David

Unfortunately a lot of people do park facing on coming traffic and then they think they have the right of way to just put on their indicator and push their way out in to the oncoming traffic and give you dirty look when you don't stop to let them out :bash:

A couple of reminders on UK rules:

https://www.gov.uk/w...king-239-to-247

https://www.gov.uk/w...ight-248-to-252

So rule 249 and 250 don't mention reflectors. They do mention parking lights, which in an iQ gives you 2hr max parking till your Battery dies. Who on earth uses parking lights without your car screaming at you when you try to lock it.

David

Interesting Craig. I wonder how MOT stations measure 50% reflectivity on your light cluster.Are you meant to clean your clusters for an MOT? So you could become paranoid if your car became partially dirty. Or maybe keep an all night vigil when it snows and your cars parked in the road, Would you be responsible and prosecutable if you didn't go out every time your clusters got to 50% visibility (in your opinion)maybe every half an hour.Another un-workable law

David

I happened to be behind a bus yesterday and thought for a vehicle the size it is, the rear reflectors are very similar to those on an iQ

Obviously just fitted to meet the minimum standard required.

I would have installed somemore.

I just imagined that lump, stopped dead on a fog bound motorway or even the hard shoulder with no lights on, it would be near invisible.

Today,

i am mostly getting cars ready for this weekends Arctic Blast.

I am like a kid before Xmas.

My old bones are getting to feel the cold now tho,

but hey ho, its all good fun slipping and sliding.

Have fun all.

george

post-104736-0-15478800-1350981419_thumb.