Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Watchdog And Spare Tyres

Yup, just missed it..............

iplayer or iplayer "programme restart" @ about time index 20:14.

Nothing we didn't know already.

Just give us a space saver wheel. That won't suit everybody, but best all round compromise in my opinion.

Yup, just missed it..............

iplayer or iplayer "programme restart" @ about time index 20:14.

Nothing we didn't know already.

Just give us a space saver wheel. That won't suit everybody, but best all round compromise in my opinion.

I figured life's too short SHCM, especially as you point out, it's nothing we didn't know.

I didn't choose to have no spare - there was no option to have one................

I saw this advertised but didn't bother watching it as the same topic was covered a while back in Which?

Of the mainstream car brands available in the UK, just Hyundai, Mercedes, Ssangyong, Toyota and VW offer spare wheels in 90% or more of their entire current model range. At the opposite end of the spectrum, BMW, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Mini, Skoda and Subaru all don’t offer a spare at all, instead opting for a puncture repair kit.

Skoda's excuse (in the article) for having no spare in any of their cars is: ‘We use this puncture repair kit in our overall strive for environmentally friendly car operation to decrease weight and improve efficiency.’ :unsure: More like it must save them money

http://conversation....kit-car-makers/

We're choosing not to have a spare?

WHICH SURVEY

What should carmakers offer as a remedy for a punctured tyre?

A spare wheel should come as standard with all cars (78%, 1,018 Votes)

A space-saver wheel or run-flat tyre should come as standard (15%, 199 Votes)

A spare wheel should be an optional extra (2%, 32 Votes)

I don’t mind what carmakers offer (2%, 23 Votes)

A puncture repair kit is fine (1%, 16 Votes)

A space-saver wheel or run-flat tyre should be an optional extra (2%, 13 Votes)

Total Voters: 1,304

Yeah right. Wonder who the manufacurers surveyed?

I don't mind the saving weight/money, just give me the choice to purchase a wheel and have somewhere to store it on the car, much like the managements mini, their were options to buy a space saver or full size and somewhere to put it - you just had to go to the parts desk to buy it after you brought the car.

The "environmental" reply is the stock answer to so many questions where the real reason is "we want to cut costs but not admit it".

Maybe one day, one of the car makers will wake up to what their customers REALLY want!

Exactly.

So what, Mr Manufacturer (and Dealer) is one supposed to do when a sidewall is gashed, or the puncture is large, or the tyre becomes shredded when coming to a halt?

This will only be resolved when someone takes a manufacturer (or dealer) to court, for selling a vehicle "not fit for purpose". (Perhaps a motoring organisation might do this as a 'class action'.)

For the RAV, it all makes even less sense for many of its owners.

Chris

They missed all the obvious problems with having no spare and just a repair kit.

All repair kits that are not water based ( Slime is the only water based one) render the tyre un repairable.

In order to spread said slime or whatever the wheel should be raised to spread the stuff around..

There is sadly no substitute for having a spare wheel ...............................

. . . and so I was heartened yesterday to see a brand new white RAV on display in our local Toyota showroom, complete with door-mounted spare wheel. (Let's just hope they've finally sorted the welds, etc. on the back door!)

Is the spare now a no-cost option? or something to be paid (or haggled) for?

Chris

They are not uncommon outside of the UK. I just wish that the same people in Great Burgh that specify only black interiors would not be the same people that decide we cannot have a wheel as an option.

Why not listen to your customers guys? It might just work.

• 3 weeks later...

helllllllp desperately in need of spare wheel for my 06 t180! as i've finally given up on run[loads-a-money]flats,270 a corner for fresh treads is a con too far.I don't care if i have to stick it on the back seat!

Heerumarr Gingernut.....PM me at your convenience......SEE YER INBOX....PM SENT.

Big Kev.