Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Software Update Improving Diesel Consumption?

2912pwil

Had my 08 2.2 Manual D4D serviced, Mr T, about 10 days ago.

Then went to Scotland, 1000+ mile round trip. Monitored reported fuel consumption (no change of driving habits, same route as many times before.. , usual cheapo diesel used..). The computer reported fuel consumption jumped up by another 4-5 mpg... No I haven't checked to see if the reported consumption is correct since the change (it did check out reasonably accurate last time I checked between fuel-tank refills...).

There wasn't any software update for Avensis or this engine distributed out my Mr T recently was there??

Can't think of any other rational explanation....

Regards to all..

Had my 08 2.2 Manual D4D serviced, Mr T, about 10 days ago.

Then went to Scotland, 1000+ mile round trip. Monitored reported fuel consumption (no change of driving habits, same route as many times before.. , usual cheapo diesel used..). The computer reported fuel consumption jumped up by another 4-5 mpg... No I haven't checked to see if the reported consumption is correct since the change (it did check out reasonably accurate last time I checked between fuel-tank refills...).

There wasn't any software update for Avensis or this engine distributed out my Mr T recently was there??

Can't think of any other rational explanation....

Regards to all..

Did they fit a new air filter, if the old one was dirty then fitting a new one would make a difference, apart from that the Partsking is the man to give you info on updates OR just ask the dealer what they did.

Edit:- When I had a software update around 3 years ago the mpg didn't seem to change and I am very happy with the MPG from mine, I got 63 mpg on a 200 mile round trip to Yorkshire recently .... 95% motorway driving. And yes the computer seems to be spot on compared to fill up to fill up method.

Regards Pete.

New oil, lower viscosity, better MPG?

Unless your came came up on the system as requiring a software update, it would not be done automatically

Kingo :thumbsup:

They may have disconnected the Battery for some reason and this could have reset the ECU which could have helped.

Some owners do this on a reguler basis and find it helps. though as yet never tried it myself.

As the car runs ok i leave well alone but it is a petrol model.

apart from the possibility of them having cleaned egr/replaced air filter etc. etc. a long run on motorway/dual carriageway will often result in a higher average mpg than short runs where it isn't operating at optimum for a higher % of the time etc.

As an example in daily mixed motoring (anything from 1/2 a mile to 15 miles) I average ~45mpg but on an 80 or 90 mile motorway/dual carriageway run I will get 55+mpg & that's not with driving like your granny ;)

4 year service has new air filter and fuel filter so that could help towards the better mpg

Alex

Thanks guys, helpful... but no, no new air filter, boring straightforward service...