Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Back Again ..... Mpg Shot To Pieces

richteex

Hi All,

Im posting on this forum far too much for my liking at the moment!!

Car Battery went flat the other day (Left Lights on), disconnected the Battery because the alarm decided to go off after trying to get into the car with just the key.... central locking wasnt working. Charged the Battery back up, reconnected battery and happy days. Car sounds ok, everything seems ok but the MPG are really low. Just about getting 20mpg, the car is literally eating diesel.

Wandering if Ive screwed the engine management up somehow. The MPG even tick down when im sat at lights. Thought maybe ive sprung a fuel leak somewhere but nothing undercar and no smells.....

Any ideas guys and girls? Car is going in to MR T next week for another problem but would like to try and sort this problem out myself if i can.

Rich

Have you done any long journeys since you sorted the Battery or is it all town driving? Your mpg will also go down when stationary as the car is still using fuel

Alex

Hi Alex,

Yep have done a few long journeys. Racked up about 300 miles in the last 3 days or so. Stil seems to be the same

Well a quick update...... logic told me that this had to be something to do with Battery so last night I stuck the old charger on overnight and gave the Battery a proper charge.

Even though I havent checked the mpg today there was a definte change in the engine sound, much smoother and Ill bet my bottom dollar its all back to normal. Ill check it over the next week or so and post back.

Just for anyone whose interested MPG back to normal now. Moral of the story..... make sure your Battery is completely charged as it will effect the performance of your Avensis. Just hope my visit to Mr T this week doesnt end in another head gasket failure..... got my fingers crossed!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links