Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina E - Doesn't Start Or Stalls When Warm

lowry76

Hi,

my old lady (1993 Carina E, >320.000km) got a problem. When cold she starts up like a charm and runs nice and smooth. As soon as the temperature rises and the needle approaches 50% she sometimes coughes and even cuts off/stalls. When off she hardly starts up again. Have to wait a minute and then she does start and sometimes runs moothly again for a couple of minutes without stuttering.

I already checked the wires from and to distributor and spark plugs. I read on the net that it could be that crankshaft position sensor but afaik the Carina E doesn't have one (am I wrong?).

Hope one of the pros here can help to keep my Carina up and running a little longer :)

Thanks,

Lowry

Hi lowry

It could be your coolant temp sensor and ur right in saying that theres no TDC sensor. Did the engine mamagment light come on?

Hi Toylexus,

For the current problem: the enginge light doesn't flash when the engine coughes. But the engine light was actually flashing several times in the last months when I drove more than apprx 30 mintues. But I thought it's the lambda sensor because it always went off when I stopped and restarted again, so I ignored it (hense the price for the replacement of that sensor).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links