Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 1.8 Vvti 55Plate Alternator Not Charging

grant w

Car non starter this morning, its looking like the alternators not charging, it charges for about 10 seconds after start up and then drops down to 10v.

Anyone had to replace theres yet? anyone know how much a gen Toyota part is mine a 90 amp, going to remove it this morning and check the connections.

I will also see if anyone recons them in Bristol area, Properbly not an option in todays throw away society though.

pm parts king on here for a discounted price.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update

New genuine part was £250. Non gen part I found for £125. but these were chinese. I found a place on the internet that would recon it for £90. but they did not use gen Bosch parts just chinese parts.

I found a company called Sparks in St George Bristol who rebuild it for £89. using gen Bosch parts and they did it in 24 hours I was able to remove and replace the alternator myself in an hour, so happy days cars back on the road.

long time ago, when i had mazda 626, '89, i had problem with alternator, i did split it ... really very simple device, and changed brushes . cost at that time around 3 euro. , and couple hours of my time, as it was first time , what i was performing such repair.

there is some in eBay - http://www.ebay.co.u... brushes&_frs=1

Repair went perfect. alternator was goin another 4 years, then i sold car.

when i was investigating about such repair, one guy said, even if i not find correct size, get a bit larger one, and grind it down to required size.

edit: not sure what make alternator is on toyota, but pretty sure repair procedure is same on all makes, check that video .