Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless Entry Drama!

Durham IQ

What a knightmare morning I had....

I left my car at a mates last night to drink then in the morning found out the Battery had gone flate in the Key... I used the manual key to open the door and as soon as I entered the alarm went off. Put the key as close as possible to the starter button and depressed the clutch. No joy still the alarm. I ended up having to walk 10 miles to the nearest Halifords dealer to get a new Battery for the key the 10 miles back!

Not Happy! :ermm:

The alarm will sound if you try to open the car with the manual key if you dead locked it when you left it.. (touched the door lines twice within 2 seconds) or used your fob button

David

What a bummer. 20 miles walking, on any day... but Sunday! That sucks. Maybe, have a spare Battery on the off chance it happens again -shouldn't I know, but hey, you never know right- and tape it/secure it somewhere in the car where you'll remember it. Then you can open the door, get peed off listening to the alarm whilst you change the Battery and then a satisfying click as it switches off. No headache, no marathon walk. Hope it wasn't raining.

As much as I fancy the newest and latest tech, this was something I often wondered - compared to a standard key start ignition. When the Battery dies, what happens?

Still, I look forward to having 'a button' on my next car. Happy with my iQ1

Although my Auris has keyless start and entry i find it just a gimmick.

Ive had the car a couple of years now but with driving it and the wifes car that has a key, i sometimes forget when getting in the Auris and try and put the key for the wifes car into a non existing ignition switch. Also lights/wiper stalks are the on different sides of the steering wheel on these cars so i find myself wiping the screen instead of idicating.

Yes, i know its an age thing.

I keep a spare batt for the fob in the central consol box.i buy them at a local market where you get two for what you pay for one at Toyota dealers and are just as good quality.

I think the iQ has a way of warning you the Battery is dying in your key. Maybe a key light on the dashboard that illuminates?

Just think the key wouldn't go flat enough to not work at all over the space of one night. Is there a chance the key buttons were depressed all night, maybe in your pocket when you fell asleep?

Craig.

Did you try holding the Logo side of the fob right up to the Start Button like it says in the handbook?

I don't know if it makes a difference from Logo side to the other?

Mark's right

Something every owner should pay attention to. If you had had a smartphone you could of asked on here and probably got an answer with in 10mins. Will remember this when people ask me why they need a smartphone

David

................. I ended up having to walk 10 miles to the nearest Halifords dealer to get a new battery for the key the 10 miles back!

Why ?

Doesn't the fob use standard batteries available from the nearest supermarket?

If Tesco are anything like Sainsburys they are far dearer than other outlets.

As i posted, A Market is far cheaper for batteries. When you compare the price of batteries like Duracel etc.

But if one has to walk any distance as Durham IQ did price does not come into it.

Just opened my key fob up and it's a single CR 1632 cell in there. 3V of course.

Craig.

According to the handbook for my Auris ( page 294 ) the Battery CR 1632 is for Smart Entry & Start models. The CR 2016 is for models that dont have this.

Not sure if all smart start cars in the Toyota range need the same Battery though.

So it pays to double check first.

................. I ended up having to walk 10 miles to the nearest Halifords dealer to get a new battery for the key the 10 miles back!

Why ?

You're panicing on a Sunday morning in a town you don't know very well... There was absolutely no warning about the Battery reducing or getting weaker! Its very easy to be wise after the event! :ermm:

I posted this to telegraph a warning to you guys so you learn from my experiences with this new technology.

Why ?

You're panicing on a Sunday morning in a town you don't know very well... There was absolutely no warning about the Battery reducing or getting weaker! Its very easy to be wise after the event! :ermm:

I posted this to telegraph a warning to you guys so you learn from my experiences with this new technology.

Yeah ... I guess so ...but it's the 20 mile trek on foot that raises the eyebrows as a tad extreme!

The obvious thing to do when a Battery goes flat in any device is to look at it and think "where can I get one of these?" The answer is rarely - A branch of Halfords and nowhere else.

The irony is you must have walked past numerous garages, supermarkets , shops etc where you could have at least tried to buy a Battery.

Or maybe you did.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I've done some pretty dumb things in a panic!

Of course it could be that he didnt feel proficient to take the keyfob apart and arm himself with the Battery number and punt around local shops looking for a replacement. So took himself off to a well known car accessory shop. To be honest you see loads of people opening their car doors of modern cars with the key rather than the fob because they either think the fob is dead and costly to replace or have no idea it has a Battery in it to replace. And if they did know it had a Battery in it, probably think they will have to take it back to the main dealer for replacement at a high cost. And some have no idea how it works. It just does!!

David

I'm in the outskirts of Gateshead, South of Newcastle on a Sunday Morning not knowing Which shops are open so of course you consult Yell.com on your iPhone and locate the only shop you know WILL be open on a SUNDAY MORNING that will almost certainly hold the key Battery, Halifords! Then GPS your way towards it.

The weather was nice though :)

My Android phone tells me that on a SUNDAY MORNING most shops are open 10:00 – 16:00 :laughing:

Glad the weather was nice :laughing: