Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Discontinued

Devon Aygo

I work for Toyota, On 19th October Toyota have notified the dealer network that with immediate effect the Urban Cruiser has been discontinued. There are around 90 new U/c out there spread between Dealers & Toyota stock once these are sold that is it, no new orders will be taken for cars not in stock.

Toyota also stated that at present there will be no replacement for the U/c

Devon

I was informed of this on Friday afternoon.

My local TOYOTA dealer has only sold a few of these since their introduction and tells me that those he has sold are generally liked by their owners

It's rather sad to see its demise after a relatively short production run...........Those last few examples could be quite a bargain if anyone was wanting an Urban Cruiser :)

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

Well that is a pity and a bad decision when other manufacturers are bringing similar models to the market such as the Vauxhall Mokka and the 2014 Ford Ecosport

Has Toyota caused the Urban Cruiser's downfall? They only sold 1188 (that's 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive models) last year compaired to just over 24000 Nissan Juke's :eek:

I can't think of the last time I saw one advertised, also they should've paid for EuroNCAP to re-test the UC to improve it's 3 star rating (who wants to buy a 3 star rated car?)

Compared to the Nissan Juke - low profile due to limited advertising, and a lot more expensive. Juke starts from £13,400. Urban Cruiser from £16,700.

I cannot remember ever seeing an advert on TV for the Urban Cruiser.

True that they are expensive but as someone who commented to the salesman that it looked like the designer was on his notice it has grown on me. I think it handles well and has reasonable performance and economy. Can't see the point of the petrol car without 4x4.

The car lacks models in the range. There should have bee some higher performance models.

I suppose the technology will be put out in other cars like the Yaris.

I have enjoyed the U/C and would have gone along with another in a couple of years time but for the fact that the NHS trusts are playing silly buggers with milage allowances meaning the Mrs may have to get a lease car because they want to cut milegae payments in half. 9She will be paying for the privlage to drive her own car to cliants houses on work buisness)

Well I,m gutted, but I had an idea this would happen ( it,s been ditched in the US-Scion).Toyota need their hands slapped for not selling this one thru a lot better than they did!!!!!!

Too expensive and slated by the motoring press from the word go.A truly excellent motor bites the dust.

Just a thought is it only Toyota UK that is stopping them or is it the whole of Europe? minus Spain of course that has never had them.

Regards Clare

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, regarding the discontinued Urban Cruiser does this mean that the value of used models will increase?

Thanks Ian

Brakenut, would not think we will see any increase in value.They will just go through the normal depreciation senario.

Regards Clare

The current Urban Cruiser has been in production since 2006, so must be due to be replaced as part of the usual product renewal cycle of 5-6 years. One also has to question whether in Europe, Toyota needs both an SUV (Urban Cruiser) and an MPV (Verso S) based on the Yaris.

Frosty, the present U/C has been in production since 2009, it replaced the previous model Toyota ist in Japan,and was introduced to Europe ( except Spain) at the same time.

The reason why they are ceasing production is because the U/C is based on the previous model under-pinnings ( Yaris that is). The Verso S is based on the "New" Yaris under-pinnings.

So as I said on the Rav4 section there might be a next-gen U/C in the planning stages as we speak- would be nice if that transpired in to reality.

My own thoughts but I would have thought that the U/C was a far better option than the Verso S

Regards Clare

According to Wikipedia the first generation 'ist' (sold as the Scion xA in the US) was produced from 2001 to 2006, the second generation 'ist' (sold as the Scion xD in the US) was produced from 2006. The Urban Cruiser (the European version on the 'ist' with different front panels) was introduced in 2008, and sold in the UK from 2009.

Correct Frosty, now that Wiki totally confuses me.Is an ist an U/C and viceversa!!!!

Regards Clare

The Urban Cruiser is an ist with different front panels (front wings, bonnet, bumper/grille/valance - these are only skin deep).

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of annoyed about this, we only just bought one and now not sure if we've done the right thing :-/

Nothing against the car, but bearing in mind the lack of interest from people looking for new cars, it may become even harder to change later now.

Hi,Gordon, share your annoyance, would think that the AWD version will hold a lot better money wise than the petrol version.Interesting to note that both version are now being sold on Toyota,s used car section for very silly money, Dealer demo,s going for at least £3000 off the list price with very little mileage!!!!!

Makes you think?

Regards Clare

I was looking on the Toyota UK Web site, They are still advertising it as a new car on the site at the moment :disgust:

Toyota will still be advertising the remaining cars in stock as new, because most will be new and unregistered (there may be a few pre-registered which will be sold as such). I think the issue for Toyota as regards the Urban Cruiser is similar to other manufacturers who export Japanese built cars to Europe - the unfavourable exchange rate between the Yen and the £/€, affects the financial viability of exporting these vehicles. Couple this with the Urban Cruiser's low sales since 2009, and I would imagine that Toyota were losing money on these cars.

The exchange rate was why Daihatsu pulled out of Europe.

Nothing to do with how good or bad the Urban Cruiser is.

Just as an aside, production of the current Auris stopped in October, with production of the new model commencing on 5th November. Similar to the Urban Cruiser, remaining stocks of the current Auris will be sold as new vehicles - unless pre-registered.

• 2 weeks later...

My missus has a Urban and I told her to get a Duke at the time... The petrol Urban has no power and you may as well just get a Yaris.. Not surprised Toyota are ditching it.. Pretty pointless car in 2wd or 4wd...

Disagree,there Jo, the petrol is a waste of time.The diesel version is a quality small SUV and for the money is well worth it.Could never see the point of the 2wd version but where can you buy a AWD that does well over 50mpg and when new costs under £20000?

Regards Clare

Suzuki SX4 2.0 DDiS 4x4

Yes Frosty but you have to question the build quality!!!!

Regards Clare

Why. For Europe the SX4 is built at the same Suzuki plant in Hungary as the Suzuki Splash, Vauxhall/Opel Agila, and Suzuki Swift - no problems with build quality for those. You may as well question the build quality of the Aygo - which is also built in an East European country by the joint venture between PSA/Toyota.