Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Discontinued

Devon Aygo

At the risk of slightly taking this off topic - I was speaking to a local Suzuki Dealer a month before we bought the Urban Cruiser while looking at car options. He said the SX4s are made in both Hungary and Japan, location depending on spec. and factory capacity though. Interesting thing was he said "look out for the Japanese made models if you can, because they have a much better build quality and for some reason are always better on economy as well. Something to do with the different procedures and working practices in the two factories" He said the way to tell them apart was the location of the aerial on the roof. Japanese ones have it to the back Hungarian ones to the front.

:driving:

• 2 weeks later...

Weii it looks like the deed is done.Went on the Toyota UK website today and under New Cars, the Urban cruiser has disappeared. Just Rav4 and Landcruisers in the 4x4 section.Sad Day, it is and was a superb little motor.

Regards Clare

Almost certainly to do with the strength of the Yen against the European currencies, which is affecting the viability of exporting Japanese-built vehicles.

There are rumours that Honda is on the verge of ceasing exports of the Japanese-built Accord to Europe.

The news that Nissan is going to be building an Infiniti model at Sunderland also contains references to the unfavourable exchange rate and the affects on Japanese exports - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20759537

Disagree,there Jo, the petrol is a waste of time.The diesel version is a quality small SUV and for the money is well worth it.Could never see the point of the 2wd version but where can you buy a AWD that does well over 50mpg and when new costs under £20000?

Regards Clare

I disagree with both of you. I had a 1.33 2WD Petrol UC and I loved it. Yes it was a bit revvy but most small Jap brand petrol engines are like that. The thing I particularly liked about it was it was like driving on rails! Very sure footed and good in the snow we had at the time

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I see it is missing from their website with no 4x4 addition to other cars. :(

Interestingly it is still on the German, French, Danish and Swedish websites

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - I'm looking to retrofit a sat nav in my 2011 Urban Cruiser 1.3 petrol - can someone advise what the standard fit sat nav model is please, assume this will not affect my bluetooth or steering wheel buttons - Toyota are being very unhelpful in this. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Hi everybody still reading this topic. Bought my cruiser in december and was told parts would not be an issue as it is still available in europe. As to price, including toyota discount of £3000 and dealer discount of £1000 got mine for £11000. Good buy or what. By the way its a diesel and I love it.

Hi - I'm looking to retrofit a sat nav in my 2011 Urban Cruiser 1.3 petrol - can someone advise what the standard fit sat nav model is please, assume this will not affect my bluetooth or steering wheel buttons - Toyota are being very unhelpful in this. Thanks.

Would have thought any standard double din unit would do the job. You will probably need a trim piece as well due to the shape

of the standard Urban Cruiser head unit, try googling it as they are available on line. Any decent in car stereo shop will de able to

sell you an adapter cable should you need it to keep the steering wheel controls. If you go ahead with it, please update this thread

or even the photos thread as its always good for the rest of us to see any mods others have done.

Cheers.

Hi everybody still reading this topic. Bought my cruiser in december and was told parts would not be an issue as it is still available in europe. As to price, including toyota discount of £3000 and dealer discount of £1000 got mine for £11000. Good buy or what. By the way its a diesel and I love it.

Jeez, that sounds like a bl..dy good deal you got for a deisel, good on you.

Cheers.

Hi EC was this a brand new UC?

Hi Tbolt. Yes, unregistered now on 62 plate. Had to throw in 57 yaris as well but had to take the deal.

• 3 months later...

When getting the U/C serviced today the salesman told me there is a new 4x4 car about juke size due to come next year although he hasn't seen any pictures yet.

When getting the U/C serviced today the salesman told me there is a new 4x4 car about juke size due to come next year although he hasn't seen any pictures yet.

Probably not next year, more like 2015

I hope not. They could miss a sale as our car is due to be replaced next year.

I hope not. They could miss a sale as our car is due to be replaced next year.

Maybe we should contact Toyota and get them to bring the new model launch forward then! ;) :)

Think Toyota have done themselves no favours as regards UK sales with their lack of TV advertising. I recall no TV advertising before the 2011 Yaris was launched, and since then both the Yaris and the 2013 Auris have been advertised on TV.

Toyota like other companies switch focus from time to time as TV advertising is hugely expensive. There was a period where they used national press and street hoarding boards for most advertising. Like everyone else, at peak selling periods you see an increase in spend. I can't remember the exact figure but it is millions

The UC was never going to be a big seller as the sales forecasts were always low. When you have low volume, you do not spend on TV adverts, you target your audience in other ways. Social Media is being heavily invested in currently by all car manufacturers because you can again target a specific audience

Hope it is not as fugly as the Juke.

Will this be a hybrid?

I hope Toyota take notice of the suggestions to improve the UC in another post on this forum.

• 1 month later...

Well I guess that I have been really lucky to pick up an AWD diesel life version first registered end April 2013. 1000 miles on the clock, in perfect condition, and the company car of one of the Toyota Dealer commercial guys. Saw my first Urban Cruiser only this July; wanted one immediately and was gutted when I found out that the car was no longer sold in Europe. Had been looking ever since for a very low mileage model. So here i am delighted. Despite the critics, it is exactly what I wanted, and I still go all gooey when I see it first thing in the morning. For me i wanted an original compact AWD vehicle capable of handling the mountain snow (I live in Cannes, nearest ski resort is 90 minutes away) with ease, economical, comfortable, large enough for a family of 3, and a turbo diesel engine. The UC AWD fits all these criteria, and in addition has superb road holding. Absolutely delighted, and a photograph of it in my album for anyone interested... :D

Tom

• 6 years later...

Holly Molly!

Quite some time passed away since anyone posted in this Timeline string ...

It’s July 2020 And I have owned and driven my Urban Cruiser now for over a month.

I am Extremely happy with my diesel two wheel version. Although it’s a used second hand car I must say it’s all over handling including parking and on all kinds of roads,is like driving on rails. Visibility as well as all around & rear view excellent as well! I find it hard to ascribe how I honestly Love driving this vehicle.

Throughout the years I have driven a vubik variety of automobiles, however the upright and comfy seating makes me so relaxed and self assured while driving like nothing else reminiscent.

For four years I was driving the Toyota Previa that was back around 2004 / 2005 now that one was very comfy as well and had an immaculate climate  air conditioning. Well this was a very much larger family vehicle.

I sincerely hope we will see a whole lot of Urban Cruisers around for many years to come!

hopefully Toyota will bring forth a revival retro in the future?

Just loving it!