Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time For A Change - Any Advice?

NMaria

My much-loved RAV4 has served me well but I am awfully tempted by a younger model. Callous and ungrateful, I know, but the old girl is getting a bit long in the tooth and I'm doing a lot of miles with my new job. Anyway, the lovely specimen that has caught my eye is an XT-R 2.2 D4D, 59 registration and has done only 16k miles. I'm going to inspect it tomorrow, and would be really grateful for any advice as to what to look out for. On the early models it was the DMF, some of the early 4.3 diesels had oil consumption problems...... anything I should know about the 2009-on models?

A box of chocolates is on offer for the best entry!

Many thanks in advance

Maria

Bonjourno Maria,

I am nearly certain that there have been zero reports of DMF failures on 4.3 Ravs (at least not on Forum....?). Furramore, 2009 vintage should easily and safely take you out of the well docced oil burning issue, and at 16k miles, should be some nick of engine, albeit needing a bloody good motorway run !!!

Hope it materialises, but ya coulda got my SR180 just last week at mates rates.....!!!!!

Big Kev

Edit....Markeez Fudge Lumps.....pure brill.

Seems you'll have to pm me your address for that box of choccies, Big Kev!

My much-loved RAV4 has served me well but I am awfully tempted by a younger model. Callous and ungrateful, I know, but the old girl is getting a bit long in the tooth and I'm doing a lot of miles with my new job. Anyway, the lovely specimen that has caught my eye is an XT-R 2.2 D4D, 59 registration and has done only 16k miles. I'm going to inspect it tomorrow, and would be really grateful for any advice as to what to look out for. On the early models it was the DMF, some of the early 4.3 diesels had oil consumption problems...... anything I should know about the 2009-on models?

A box of chocolates is on offer for the best entry!

Many thanks in advance

Maria

Should be a cracking car, so only simple stuff to look out for.

May be low mileage, but it's still 3. So should have had 3 services?! It'd be easy to miss one out with such low miles.

Also check the tyres and brakes. Tyre wear should be even and brakes smooth. My 57 (had two years now so about the same point) needed front discs and brakes within a few months. The discs can warp (or get a deposit?) and gives you juddery braking. Apparently holding the car on the brakes (at traffic lights etc) can cause issues.

Should feel smooth as silk if all's okay.

I'd be expecting everything to feel like new at that mileage, so accept no less!

Dave

(any dark chocs would be nice!)

.....will youz Englanders stay away from ma sweeties...!!!! Good point from Dave re brakes there, Maria, and some tyres do not take kindly to sitting stationary too long. They literally become "cracking" tyres, which may show on side walls and/or in amongst tread pattern. Regardless of service history, again the oil may be bowfin' solely due to not getting up to temperature....worth a change. Brake fluid ditto being hygrothingmy (takes on watter....)

Big Kev.....missing Woolies Pik 'n' Mix

Maria,

The brakes are more or less sorted on the vintage of RAV you are looking at. Although there is nothing official, I suspect Mr T. went back to a pad material that is more agressive, like that used on the 4.2, thus keeping the discs clean. The wear on my early 2010 4.3 is very similar to that on my old 4.2, where on my early 2007 4.3, disc wear was less, but prone to the depositing. Increased wear rate is fine by me.

A check of the oil level might not really tell you anything, but a low level, would make me ask questions.

Not sure whether your XT-R has the spare wheel (some very early ones did), but there is that to consider.

From 59 plates on, they are more or less sorted. They still suffer from the odd minor squeek/rattle (listen out for those?) and my 2010 had a leaking rear shock absorber at about 20k (I'm now on about 25k-ish), but that's nothing major. Look for oil running all the way down the shock, a little bit at the top is OK.

That's about it really. Go drive it. With the 150 engine you'll want it :yes: It's a leap of improvement from the 130.

See if you can find out about the previous owner and why they have parted with it.

I'll skip the chocs, but 20 bacon,egg and sausage butties will just about do me :).

Kev - Stick to yer Scottish slab stuff, whatever it's called ;).

EDIT: Don't forget, if the little rear suspension re-call mod is available, get them to do it, before you collect.

....he forgot the tottie scone doubler....

Good grief, I've just bought a car! It was rather a spur of the moment thing and I am still trying to recover. Bought it from RRG Salford Quays; have had excellent service from RRG Macclesfield in the past so am happy to stay with the group.

Thank you all so much for your excellent advice: there were some good pointers there. It was also good to have the reassurance that this later model has no major problems to look out for after having had injectors, brake disc warping and oil consumption problems on my current 2007 model.. This 'new' car is absolutely immaculate, brakes and tyres all ok, no rust anywhere, all the bits and bobs were present and correct (except a spare wheel, alas), antecedents OK.

Good point about the recalls - I'll ask them to check those out.

Just as you suggested, shcm, there were some noticeable improvements from my current car: smoother, quieter, more powerful. I didn't know the revised engine was so noticeably better. The car looks really nice: all black and shiny (Carry On up the Car Wash), and has a full leather interior, unfortunately: all that slippery slidy stuff makes me feel insecure. Perhaps I can put one of those sticky dashboard pads on the seat. No, on reflection, I'd need quite a few, my backside not being the svelte affair it once was.

Enough of that. Candidates for chocolates and tablet - pm me your addresses please. Customers for bacon and egg butties - please call in at our home the next time you're anywhere near Cumbria: we're handily located just off the M6!

Thanks again everyone, and happy motoring!

Maria

Maria where were you? You just missed my 2010 RAV with 11k on the clock!!!

Never mind, what about a photo?

There will be nae sweeties changing hands on here, Maria....delighted you got sorted wiff such a stonker of a momo car.....photographic edivence mandatory and quick.....

Big Kev

Anchorman - fancy having missed your machine, oh no!! I was so happy but now I am sad...

Anyway, let's get back to being happy. Picking the car up on Monday evening from RRG Salford Quays. Registration is MM59CKU - does anyone recognise that? I'll post some photographs next weekend, when I can see my own drive by daylight again and have had time to give it a jolly good polish.

Thanks for all your support, chaps. Happy motoring!