Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2012 New Auris Mmt Good Or Bad Purchase?

markab

Hi all,

I am pretty sure you will have had many questions like this before and I have read back as many forum pages as I could to get some information on the MMT gearbox although most seem to relate to cars that are a few years old.

I have been offered a new Auris 1.6 MMT from a local dealer at a very good price (I assume due to the upcoming model change). I see on this forum that there are very few good comments about this gearbox most seem to list faults or poor operation of the unit and generally a lot of disappointed people.

My question is, are these faults/issues still in brand new units or are these from older cars only, should I pass up on this car because of the transmission or are the current new units ok?

Thanks

Hi there..I was as skeptical as you are before buying my auris mmt in march 2011 but I have to say I'm really happy with it.

I can't find any of the issues I read in many forums. Shifts are pretty smooth and at the right time and with some practice you'll be able to let it do what you want simply with your right foot. I found a very relaxing driving position and the only disappointing is the interior rattles from the center console. Back to the mmt I suggest a try before buy to see if it fits your needing. BTW, in manual use shifting are much better and almost unnoticeable. Sorry for my English :)

I want to add few lines to say the shifting are calibrated for the best fuel consumption and in some cases you could find yourself with a lack of power but, as said before, you have the power to do what you want just in your right foot. Another thing is driving in the Alps where I switched to manual and had a lot of fun. No prob at all on steep roads, neither when you have to move from still on uphill or downhill roads. During maneuvers it's very precise because, as a classic automatic, the car moves as you release the brake...

I know some people have had very good experiences with them but the earlier ones (this is the year the Auris was born apparently and the MMT too).. or let's make this about my 2007 Auris MMT.. its awful! It is the worst car I have ever owned. It regularly sticks in 1st and 2nd gear, hillstarts are a nightmare and personally I don't like it at all. There are other annoyances about it ... yes as Roby was saying .. mine rattles too. Getting back to the transmission though.. you can facilitate a smoother handling by lifting your foot off the accelerator as you feel the car is about to change gear but I have found that on roundabouts for example should you have to stop then the car is very slow to move forward again or sometimes lurches forward and if I have moved it across to manual to do this with a bit more oomph it reads that its in a high gear.. whatever I was previously doing prior to my approach to the roundabout.

My car has been back to the dealership 4 times or more.. I have lost count actually and its had a new clutch (a couple of months after I purchased it) and the clutch has been reactuated too.. its due for a service soon and my extended warranty period expires about 10 days afterwards..I have asked them to look at it again due to the sticking in 1st and 2nd.. not as often as it used to but at least on every journey it will do it once or twice. It is highly irritating I have to say! I am told that every year they tried to improve upoon it but failed.. its no surprise then that they no longer make MMT's! I have had a courtesy car CVT when mine goes in and these are much better but still not sold on the idea personally!

If someone made me a good enough offer, I would willingly sell it! As far as safety goes, I think its very good and it is firm on the steering.. suspension for me is a bit hard as the Avensis was so comfortable a ride for me and my passengers. Interestingly my granddaughter, daughter and I had motion sickness in this car for the 1st time ever the first few times of driving it. I have got used to it now but do still feel a bit queasy at the end of a long journey.

As far as motorway driving .. I stick it in E mode and its fine .. slip roads to roundabouts again E .. sometimes switch to M as I approach the roundabout if the car has been going at some speed and then is being asked to drive slower.. God forbid I should ask the car to do what I want! It does seem to have a mind of its own at times!

Hello,

Not sure where you picked up it was a 2007 Auris, it was a brand new 2012 model I was asking about.

Anyway I picked the car up at the weekend and am very happy with it, gearbox working with no issue. Thanks for the reply's.

Hi there markab

Sorry about that.. I see now what happened there.. I had entered MMT into the search box and the title with your 2012 heading was hidden beneath my toolbar... anyway I am sure it will be a damn sight better than anything they made in 2007! Enjoy your car :-)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links