Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight Bulbs

silly sausage

Well, the darker nights are well and truly upon us, I'm thinking of uprating the headlight bulbs on the RAV, I would be interested to know of any recommendations any members might have, many of the roads in our part of the world are mainly unlit and clearer lighting would be helpful. Thanks in advance, Paul

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Kev

• Millomite

• silly sausage

• Aycee

I fitted Osram Nightbreaker to my 2011 RAV4. Very quick job and replaced both the Main Beam lamps and the Dipped. Much better then the OEM lamps and worth the money for the extra driving enjoyment and safety.

......AND WHILE YER IN THERE, Paul, get yursell some 5 LED sidelight bulbs, which almost double as DRL'S (WHEN YOU REMEMBER TO SWITCH THEM ON.) Main beam bulbs I have never really seen the necessity to change, as their combination with uprated dipped bulbs is totally adequate IMHO.

Big Kev

Don't buy cheap LED ones as they only last 5 minutes.

I have these LED's and they are superb http://www.lightec-autostyle.co.uk/high-power-cree-xenon-white-sidelight-bulbs-p-243.html

I also have upgraded the dipped headlights to Ring xenon Max bulbs which are better than the OEM ones but I am on my 2nd pack of them so will have a look at something else for next time they need replacing.

I agree with Big Kev - no point in upgrading the headlights/full beam.

Good point that the cheapies don't last long, and actually the 5 LED ones are specifically suitable to the most recent headlight shapes (modelsnob....) as they virtually sit within their own dedicated round chrome reflector, and look awfy smairt, REFLECTING AS THEY DO FROM MULTIPLE FACETRY AND INFINITE SELF REPETITION...... time for bed.....

Light Headed Kev

Kevster, have you a photo of your 5 led sidelights?

I upgraded the dipped beam to the Osram Nightbreaker, not much choice for the Rav fitment, TBH not a great difference noticed apart from whiter light but I only upgraded after returning from deepest darkest Cornwall, here in the hobbit shires they have electrikery and a lot of street lights.

I've a 2012 Rav. Are these ok to replace my dipped beams:

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/HB4-OSRAM-Night-Breaker-Plus-90-More-Light-50-Improved-Life-Upgrade-Xenon-Headlight-Bulbs-Pack-of-2-NEW.html?bulb_search=c25297

Struggling to find replacement LED sidelights, any links guys?

I've a 2012 Rav. Are these ok to replace my dipped beams:

http://www.autobulbs...b_search=c25297

Struggling to find replacement LED sidelights, any links guys?

Wotsha Scott,

You have opted for one of the more expensive retailers of bulbs, as I found out by personal experience. Also them dipped beam bulbs should be H11 SURELY....? (DAVRAV / LH PLEASE CONFIRM...?) HAVE A GOOD HUNT ON Amazon AN YE MICHT GET A FRIGHT.....excuse catapults.

eBay 5 LED bulbs....item number 270880388170, but these are the Chinese cheapos that 'Monster above warns about, so I bought 5 pairs just in case. Guess whit....? They are all fine, but their limited longevity merits a multi purchase.

Big Kev....ah waant yer dug.....

you will struggle with those..... my manual states main beam are HB3, Dipped beam H11

Main beam http://www.autobulbs...W-9006NBP1.html

Dipped http://www.autobulbs...w-pair-NEW.html

LED Link courtesy of Mr Kev http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=270880388170

internal Rear Door I have ordered these but as they havent arrived as yet, they are untested may be a bit big...... http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=270798558654

Or these as they're cheaper and come with free sidelights?

http://www.amazon.co...51086911&sr=1-3

These are betterer Scott, but I still question the H11 versus H4 (coz I just fitted H11's in ma newy.....please await conmirfation, mate.) The wee freebie sidelight bulbs are mince.....I have aboot 6 of them.....they are blue in colour, and only rate as different, and give the impression of a BUDGET boy racer upgrade IMVVVVVHO.

I just filled in the model of my rav on their website kev, but the newest they had was a 2011 so not sure how accurate it is. Good advice on the sidelights though, cheers.

About the dog, which one, I've four of them haha

I just filled in the model of my rav on their website kev, but the newest they had was a 2011 so not sure how accurate it is. Good advice on the sidelights though, cheers.

About the dog, which one, I've four of them haha

Deffo H11 for dipped / H3 for full beams, Scott. I am just about to try uprated full beams in near future, albeit don't do much night driving....usuall ma wife, coz me had a pint and she drives (very nice wife....) She has remarked her night vision not great, so maybe worthwhile investment. Will report.

Big Kev

I'm not sure whether the H4 is a pack number rather than an individual bulb number, to be on the safe side I have ordered Osram Nightbreaker Plus H11's.

I'm not sure whether the H4 is a pack number rather than an individual bulb number, to be on the safe side I have ordered Osram Nightbreaker Plus H11's.

That's the wans you require.....H4 is indeed a different bulb.

That's the wans you require.....H4 is indeed a different bulb.

CORRECTION : FULL BEAM bulbs SHOULD READ HB3....SORRY.

Would like to change my side lights to LED as they do look a bit yellow now compared to new cars, are they easy to change?

Thanks

On your T180, Gavin, IT'S A TOTAL DAWDLE. Just remember that these are DIODICALISED electronic bulbs (nurra new word.....), so if they don't work first insertion, remove and spin them 180 degrees. I recently tested 10 new ones at the one sitting.....had to turn all 10 like so.....reason I stay away from horse racing.....50/50 chance times 10.....is this a record ?

Owners of 4.2 Ravs please note prior to purchasing.....much more involved but still (relatively) easy, as your wheel arch liner has to be partially peeled back to get at source of sidelights....did wife's on a COLD day, and swear that wheel arch plastic liner was made by Wikinson Sword.....now a fully fledged amateur gynaecologist.

Big Kev

On your T180, Gavin, IT'S A TOTAL DAWDLE. Just remember that these are DIODICALISED electronic bulbs (nurra new word.....), so if they don't work first insertion, remove and spin them 180 degrees. I recently tested 10 new ones at the one sitting.....had to turn all 10 like so.....reason I stay away from horse racing.....50/50 chance times 10.....is this a record ?

Owners of 4.2 Ravs please note prior to purchasing.....much more involved but still (relatively) easy, as your wheel arch liner has to be partially peeled back to get at source of sidelights....did wife's on a COLD day, and swear that wheel arch plastic liner was made by Wikinson Sword.....now a fully fledged amateur gynaecologist.

Big Kev

Amateur gynaecologist Kev ? Is it true you can wallpaper your lounge wall through the front door letterbox ?

Fitted Osram nightbreaker plus to the dipped beams, much brighter than the standard bulbs.

Also fitted these sidelight bulbs which give a nice white light.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290781570031?ssPageNamwe=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

but they have doubled in price!!

Fitted Osram nightbreaker plus to the dipped beams, much brighter than the standard bulbs.

Also fitted these sidelight bulbs which give a nice white light.

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1439.l2649

but they have doubled in price!!

The way I understand those expensive ones (Canbus) is to avoid fault lights coming up. Much as the cheapies can develop faults (and some last ages....) they certainly don't merit paying double the price, as never had any dashboard lights. Please keep us up to date on longevity.

Big Kev

Cheers Kev, which bulbs are best for sidelights?

eBay ITEM : 270880388170

Buy a few pairs Gav for reasons outlined further back in this subject.

Big Kev

Some cars have a bulb failure warning system where a small charge is fed constantly through the wires and filaments even when the lights are switched off. This way they can detect a bulb failure at any time. If LEDs are fitted, the system detects no circuit and puts up a warning light showing which is faulty. For this reason you can buy bulbs which will keep the continuity but they are not needed on a RAV as they don't have the system.

For the same reason, LED indicator bulbs must have a resistor fitted or the flasher unit thinks there is a failure and flashes at double time.

Some cars have a bulb failure warning system where a small charge is fed constantly through the wires and filaments even when the lights are switched off. This way they can detect a bulb failure at any time. If LEDs are fitted, the system detects no circuit and puts up a warning light showing which is faulty. For this reason you can buy bulbs which will keep the continuity but they are not needed on a RAV as they don't have the system.

For the same reason, LED indicator bulbs must have a resistor fitted or the flasher unit thinks there is a failure and flashes at double time.

Ah knew that.......