Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis, Or Not Avensis? Possible Problems?

Toyjam

Hello everyone.

This is my first post, being a possible new Toyota owner. Sorry it covers old ground by I can't seem to find an answer to my question.

I am considering a 2008 Avensis 2.2 D4D which only has 25000 miles on the clock.

I have naturally read numerous horror stories and am in two minds as to whether I should give it a wide berth.

The car was registered in March 2008, has Toyota service history and the engine number is 4415288684.

Can anyone tell me if this engine is covered by the extended warranty offered by Toyota (if it's still going).

If not, is this engine likely to fail (I have read cases of cylinder heads failing on later 2008 cars).

Regards

James.

If you look on any one model message board you will find horror stories, I think that in real terms the vast majority of these cars are totally reliable, if the car is as you say less than seven years old with full service history in the unlikely event of a head gasket problem it should be covered by the extended warranty.

the Toyota bulletin covers Avensis produced up to February 2009 so:

a) it could be affected ( I too think that the actual % of cars that develop it is low but of course when you are dealing with tens of thousands even a few % is several hundred cars)

b ) it should also be covered by the extended warranty for the issue (subject to service history etc.).

I think personally think its a very common problem with the 2.2d engine. The head gasket has failed twice on mine. My question is this, why are toyota now doing a 3/4 engine replacement rather then just replacing the head gasket? can only think the replaced head gaskets are failing aswell.