Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4 Diesel - Worrying Time

davidpals

hi guys - i bought this 2002 rav 4 diesel to replace the jeep liberty . When i first drove it there was a hesitancy - probably the best description - when accelerating hard in 2nd gear - everything else seemed OK (its got 109k on it) . i must say i am impressed with the car BUT on monday , on our very first caravan trip - on the way , power just died and the engine malfunction light came on , we luckily limped into a layby - sat for a minute wondering what to do - while it was in this condition it ran smoothly - no missing but it wouldnt rev . re started the engine - no light and all was well - needless to say its been a worrying time while on hols - right up to getting home . Do these symptoms sound familiar ? and what would you recomend i do now ? any help much appreciated as i dont want this to lose the trust in the car . thanks again - dave p

Hi Dave and welcome t'club,

I am famed on here for being totally wrong, and desperately hope to be in your case, but what you described there could be the start of the dreaded Dual Mass Flywheel giving up the ghost (abrupt stall).....or could it be your fuel filter has never been changed, and is full of H2 watter and crud.....? You need a good diagnosis from somebody in the know......did it get you home (or are you still away) without repetition of the symptom....?

Again, muchos welcomos, and trust it's something like the latter described above....if it's the DMF, IT'S NOT A CHEAP0 FIX. Somebody more experienced should be along shortly....some members have to work for a living, wee souls....

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Just have a read at the SCv thread in the pinned section - see if that rings any bells.

Yipee Dave....ah could be wrong.....

Hi Dave,

These are NOT symptoms of a failing DMF, so you can sleep on that one.

When you fall into limp mode, pull over and restart the engine, the fault (and warning light) will clear. You can usually provoke the fault again by heavy and sustained acceleration.

Check the fuel filter (replace it), air filter (replace), and clean the air-flow sensor on top of the air-cleaner duct (unplug, unscrew, remove and gently aerosol clean with contact or carburettor cleaner).

Follow Anchorman's advice.

Also possible that the first exhaust box (oxidation cat) is blocked. This is checked by test-driving the car with the box (i.e. exhaust system) removed (it's surprisingly quiet). Try the other things first, though.

Chris

hi guys - i bought this 2002 rav 4 diesel to replace the jeep liberty . When i first drove it there was a hesitancy - probably the best description - when accelerating hard in 2nd gear - everything else seemed OK (its got 109k on it) . i must say i am impressed with the car BUT on monday , on our very first caravan trip - on the way , power just died and the engine malfunction light came on , we luckily limped into a layby - sat for a minute wondering what to do - while it was in this condition it ran smoothly - no missing but it wouldnt rev . re started the engine - no light and all was well - needless to say its been a worrying time while on hols - right up to getting home . Do these symptoms sound familiar ? and what would you recomend i do now ? any help much appreciated as i dont want this to lose the trust in the car . thanks again - dave p

welcome on board

i would check with EGR on possible contra exhaust pressure breaking rpm.

SCV and fuel filter are your next steps.

regards / Igor

.....and apologies for misreading one of yer symptoms, Dave....DMF ma bahooky, but ma pension is on a fuel filter that has never been disturbed.

Big Kev

many thanks for the replys guys - yes it got us about on hols and towed the caravan back home - no light and no limp , it was a bit nerve racking driving through built up towns tho - i will follow your advice and do as suggested - will it have put a code up ? because there is a chap down the road with a reader i m sure he would check it for me .

thanks again guys

dave p

update

not yet had time to do as suggested above (work spoils all the fun !) but on the way to work this morning - engine light came on - not in limp mode tho - stopped and re started engine - fine , then i noticed that the speedo isnt working - do you think these things are related to above ? if so please help - what do i do now ? any ideas welcome - thanks guys

dave p

Be more specific Dave. Did the speedo stop working at the same time the light came on or could you have not "noticed" that it wasn't working since Easter?

the speedo worked the previous day - the speedo worked that morning - i didnt see the needle fall to zero and the light come on . following day - speedo working not working working not working of that order - light on restart light off ond so on - also noticed that heavy acceleration as said by tech01 caused the light to come on - is it possible that the speedo thing is coincidence ?

dont know if its imaginary but seems rougher to drive - no torque when setting off - not as smooth at constant speed easier to stall at traffic lights - or maybe thats just in me mind ?

what do you think - filters and air flow sensor clean as suggested then see what happens ?

cheers dave p

Yes do all that. The speedo sensor is on the back of the box on yours. Pull the plug off and give it a squirt of WD40 or contact cleaner. There is also a plug under the fuse box that has caused problems in the past.