Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina E Top End Overhaul Tip

tivoli pete

:hokus-pokus:

I had a recent thread running about the problems I was having with my '96 1.8L Carina E with the 7A-FE engine. I had been to a garage to get the head gasket changed, and the car came back with a loud metallic clatter - like poor tappet adjustment. The following is what to do to prevent the noise...

When the inlet camshaft on these engines (4A-FE & 7A-FE) is removed from the cylinder head, and dissengaged from the exhaust camshaft drive gear, it is important to do the following things:

Assuming that the exhaust camshaft is already fitted and the #1 cylinder is at TDC on its firing stroke, and basically ready to receive the inlet camshaft.

Check the inlet camshaft drive gear - it is split in to two separate gears that are held pressed together by a wave washer and a circlip.

There are a series of holes on the outer face of the drive gear assembly. On the came lobe side of the drive gear assembly, there is a threaded hole to take a 6mm bolt or set screw. Within the gear assembly is a strong C shaped spring which must be pre-loaded and the held under tension by inserting a 6mm bolt through the service hole (on the outer gear face - the only one that will align when the spring is tensioned). To tension this gear, look down and left of the service screw hole, and there you will find two holes about an inch apart. Place two snug filling dowels or bolts in to the holes, and use then to lever the gear ring around until the service hole and the threaded hole ar aligned - then tighten a bolt or screw to hold the spring tension.

Once this is complete, pre-lube as necessary and refit the cam to the engine. There are two small alignment holes that will align at (Inlet 3 o'clock) and (Exhaust 9 o'clock) and finally at TDC should both be at 12 o'clock. Now just retighten the bearing caps in the correct sequence, and check and adjust the cam follower shims for correct valve clearances.

If you forget to tension the camshaft "Anti-backlash" gear spring, the engine will sound terrible, and you will think you have valve clearance problems or timing problems.

Just thought this might help. Use the Haynes Carina E manual for this - it explains quite well the procedure for this job.

Cheers,

Tivoli Pete.

:thumbsup:

Yep - good advice - if you dont remove the backlash with the M6 bolt from the sissor gears,you run the risk of breaking the head casting ajacent to No.1 lobe on the Cam shaft when removing the Cams !!

• 4 weeks later...

I have also the same noise on my Carina E. Toyota have checked the valve clearances,timing,cam belt/tensioners and distributor - all to no avail...

Unlike your Carina mine has never had the head off. Do you know if

the same problem could manifest itself on my car even though the head has

never been removed?

:hokus-pokus:

I had a recent thread running about the problems I was having with my '96 1.8L Carina E with the 7A-FE engine. I had been to a garage to get the head gasket changed, and the car came back with a loud metallic clatter - like poor tappet adjustment. The following is what to do to prevent the noise...

When the inlet camshaft on these engines (4A-FE & 7A-FE) is removed from the cylinder head, and dissengaged from the exhaust camshaft drive gear, it is important to do the following things:

Assuming that the exhaust camshaft is already fitted and the #1 cylinder is at TDC on its firing stroke, and basically ready to receive the inlet camshaft.

Check the inlet camshaft drive gear - it is split in to two separate gears that are held pressed together by a wave washer and a circlip.

There are a series of holes on the outer face of the drive gear assembly. On the came lobe side of the drive gear assembly, there is a threaded hole to take a 6mm bolt or set screw. Within the gear assembly is a strong C shaped spring which must be pre-loaded and the held under tension by inserting a 6mm bolt through the service hole (on the outer gear face - the only one that will align when the spring is tensioned). To tension this gear, look down and left of the service screw hole, and there you will find two holes about an inch apart. Place two snug filling dowels or bolts in to the holes, and use then to lever the gear ring around until the service hole and the threaded hole ar aligned - then tighten a bolt or screw to hold the spring tension.

Once this is complete, pre-lube as necessary and refit the cam to the engine. There are two small alignment holes that will align at (Inlet 3 o'clock) and (Exhaust 9 o'clock) and finally at TDC should both be at 12 o'clock. Now just retighten the bearing caps in the correct sequence, and check and adjust the cam follower shims for correct valve clearances.

If you forget to tension the camshaft "Anti-backlash" gear spring, the engine will sound terrible, and you will think you have valve clearance problems or timing problems.

Just thought this might help. Use the Haynes Carina E manual for this - it explains quite well the procedure for this job.

Cheers,

Tivoli Pete.

:thumbsup:

Hi tivoli pete,

very good info, I may need a new head gasket myself soon on the same Carina model as yours, any idea what a fair price is for getting this done, I have had wildly varying estimates one even included all the drive belts being replaced,they are new :o I will not be doing the work myself too complex.Cheers Jim :thumbsup:

h/gasket £18 -£20. Set will cost you anything around £100+ from TGB.

Go for it and do it yourself. Haynes is fine for the job.

Hi Beardie

Many thanks for your help, I bought the Haynes manual and will have a study of the work, if I could do the job it will save hundreds. cheers Jim

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links