Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vibration

Tallphotography

My '94 GLi Estate has developed a nasty vibration from 55-65 mph but only under power. I have had all four wheels balanced but that has not cured it. One of the guys at my local garage thinks it could be a bulge in one of the tyres but another of the guys is now saying it could be a driveshaft. Do any of you lot have any ideas???????????????????????

You may check your engine mounts and specially use new tyres... I also had the same problem in my Carina 192

:disgust:

Cheers Dhanuka, did you manage to cure it?

Yap of course........ I got the vibration @ 140 Kmph....... Then I did a full checkup and found that my back tyres were bad though they were new...

Cv axle problems or wheel bearing? I have a very similar problem. When I accelerate over 50mph, I get a knocking sound. If I bend the car left, it gets much worse. Changed the tyres, problem persisted. Checked the CV boots but they seemed in good tact. However, the CV axle was able to move upwards a small but when I shook it with my hands. The same on both sides. That doesn't seem normal and suggested to me that it could be what is making the noise? I suspect the CV axle, but it could yet be a driver side wheel bearing. I am not sure if these things are expensive fixes, but on a 97 Carina that has done almost 250,000 miles, if it is expensive to fix it, I'm just gonna move on. Might downgrade to a Corolla if it comes to it. Cheaper on petrol and car tax! :) Anyone know how much these things might cost to fix, even in a breakers? Cheers.

The bearings seem ok, not too much play in them. Am not gonna get rid if it is expensive, I love it to bits.

Only a small bit of play in mine too. But the sound does suggest bearings which seems like a contradiction? CV axle is still what I believe is causing my trouble though. While I do love this car, given the prices of petrol and car tax in Ireland, dropping down from 1.6 makes sense to me. Is the fix gonna cost me the value of the car? Surely a 97 Carina with 250k on the clock isn't gonna fetch much! :) That is my question. If it is, or close enough to, I could probably come up the years a little bit and get a corolla with much lower mileage, and fall in love again! I have owned 4 cars in my lifetime, 3 of them Toyotas. Starlet, Corolla and now the Carina. I had a mazda in between the starlet and the corolla but I didn't care much for it. I've always loved my Toyotas. Just so reliable.

• 2 weeks later...

My '94 GLi Estate has developed a nasty vibration from 55-65 mph but only under power. I have had all four wheels balanced but that has not cured it. One of the guys at my local garage thinks it could be a bulge in one of the tyres but another of the guys is now saying it could be a driveshaft. Do any of you lot have any ideas???????????????????????

check with an driveshaft shaft intermediate bearing

• 4 months later...

My garage has pinned it down to the inner CV joints. They've found somewhere that can recon the joints but that's a 400 quid job! I managed to locate some driveshafts on fleabay and contacted the seller to confirm compatibility, was told that they would defo fit so I went ahead and bought them.

Garage went to fit them yesterday and lo and behold they don't fit!!!!!!!!!!! :censor:

I gave the seller the details of year, engine size, gearbox and bodystyle. He assured me that although his shafts came off a saloon, they would fit my wagon.

What are the parameters I need to be looking at when finding replacements??????????

Will this fit my manual 'box?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-CARINA-E-DriveShaft-2-0-PETROL-AUTO-DRIVER-SIDE-FRONT-DRIVE-SHAFT-/330778857247?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d03f4cf1f

Bump.