Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Is The Uk Equivalent Of An Italian Yaris Badged 'd4D '03&

Tommygunn

I have an Italian bought 2002/3 Yaris which I am in the process of getting insured, however, I am having one problem in that I cannot locate my exact model on the insurance companys' website drop down menus.

The exact specs of my Yaris are as follows:

Late 2002 Japanese manufacture, 1364cc turbo diesel, manual gearbox, 5 door.

The Badge on the rear of the car reads 'Yaris D4D '03', problem is I cannot find a match on the website menus as they are all listed as CDX / GLS / GS D4D.

Does anyone know what the UK equivalent is?

Tom.

Look on Autotrader for UK cars of the various specs and compare yours against them.

Thanks for the tips, I'll check them out

I've also emailed UK and Italian Toyota HQ's to see if they can help.

Cyker,

I was asking every other question under the sun about my Italian Yaris but not specifically this.

Tom.

I phoned four Lister's Toyota garages today and three out of the four said it was a GLS i.e. alloys, electric front windows, solid roof, 1.4L manual diesel and 5 doors. The other garage said a TR, or something, but I think he may have misunderstood the year.

However, now I'm hitting a brick wall with the insurance companies. I have to go through my patter that it is an import etc and they are fine that it is a left hand drive, an EU import UK spec but what they get hung up on is that my Badge says D4D '03 and not GLS D4D, or however it should look.

They simply don't have D4D '03 in their listings, it's the usual red tape nonsence.

How can I surmount this problem?

Apart from the Badge will there be any other non matching features or code numbers that could distinguish my Italian D4D '03 from a UK GLS D4D?

Tom.

AFAIK, No GLS says GLS on it. In fact, the only Mk1 Yarisusussses I've seen with model badges are TR's and T-Spirits... My neighbour has a CDX but it doesn't say CDX anywhere on the car!

D4D just means it is a diesel, as opposed to a VVTI petrol and has no bearing on what trim level it is at all.

I'd just not mention the Badge to them TBH; It'll just confuse them.

Silly insurance companies :(

Y'know what tho', I'm glad you didn't import the japanese 1.3 AWD Yaris - Imagine the insurance companies trying to find a match for that!!! :lol:

AFAIK, No GLS says GLS on it. In fact, the only Mk1 Yarisusussses I've seen with model badges are TR's and T-Spirits... My neighbour has a CDX but it doesn't say CDX anywhere on the car!

D4D just means it is a diesel, as opposed to a VVTI petrol and has no bearing on what trim level it is at all.

I'd just not mention the badge to them TBH; It'll just confuse them.

Silly insurance companies :(

Y'know what tho', I'm glad you didn't import the japanese 1.3 AWD Yaris - Imagine the insurance companies trying to find a match for that!!! :lol:

I'm sorry but that is incorrect! No UK MK1 Yaris ever had been badged 'TR' In fact 2008 was the very first time 'TR' was used introduced as a trim level for the Yaris in the UK.

Also all MK1 phase 1's were badged either 'S', 'GS', 'GLS','CDX' or 'TS', all (except the T Sport) had the model badges on the black trim underneath the door mirrors and not on the tailgate.

I phoned four Lister's Toyota garages today and three out of the four said it was a GLS i.e. alloys, electric front windows, solid roof, 1.4L manual diesel and 5 doors. The other garage said a TR, or something, but I think he may have misunderstood the year.

However, now I'm hitting a brick wall with the insurance companies. I have to go through my patter that it is an import etc and they are fine that it is a left hand drive, an EU import UK spec but what they get hung up on is that my badge says D4D '03 and not GLS D4D, or however it should look.

They simply don't have D4D '03 in their listings, it's the usual red tape nonsence.

How can I surmount this problem?

Apart from the badge will there be any other non matching features or code numbers that could distinguish my Italian D4D '03 from a UK GLS D4D?

Tom.

It could be that as it's a European import made in Japan, the only model reference available to the insurances companies register is the Europeans model set which were 'Luna', 'Sol', 'Std' (Standard type) or 'Trstd' (Terra type).

If you don't get anywhere with that then you could try the official model codes qouted by Toyota themselves which are....

Vin no.s ... JTDKC183......= Frame NLP10, Model Code NLP10-AHMGXW

Vin no.s.....JTDKC283......= Frame NLP20, Model Code NLP20-CHMGXW

But my guess would be your Yaris is a 'SOL'.

Hope that helps and best of luck!

I'm sorry but that is incorrect! No UK MK1 Yaris ever had been badged 'TR' In fact 2008 was the very first time 'TR' was used introduced as a trim level for the Yaris in the UK.

Yeah, I had a brainfart, I meant the T-Sport Badge, not the TR! Durr :lol:

Also all MK1 phase 1's were badged either 'S', 'GS', 'GLS','CDX' or 'TS', all (except the T Sport) had the model badges on the black trim underneath the door mirrors and not on the tailgate.

I did not know that! Thanks for the info :)

I'll have to look more carefully next time - Must be very subtle as I never spotted it! Either that or they used the same bonding adhesive as they used in the alloy paint :lol:

Stantheman1,

Thank you very much for your input. From the details you gave me I got looking at some VIN decoders and info people had posted up themselves on various sites and then I happened to look at Toyodiy.com which was about the most useful.

Toyodiy says that my vehicle is as follows:

Sol Type / Destination Europe / left hand / 1.4 turbo diesel / manual 5 speed / 5 door / colour 8P4 / trim GL15.

Then I thought I'd have a look at my 'Certificate of Conformity' and of course I noticed the Type variant/version codes similar to what you have quoted, however, they are slightly different.

I'd like to quote my VIN and variant/version on here but is it wise to let the world see that info?

Tom.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links